Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Israel's Latest Assault on Gaza: The Lie of Who Started It

Posted by   + Show Post

Israel's Latest Assault on Gaza: The Lie of Who Started It

John Glaser, November 11, 2012

Israel has again attacked Gaza. In its aerial and ground assault that began on Saturday, November 10th, at least 7 Palestinians have been killed, 5 of them civilians, 3 of whom were children. Up to 52 others, including 6 women and 12 children, have been wounded.

One of the wounded is carried into a hospital in Gaza City following Israel's shelling (Reuters/Mohammed Salem)

As in every vicious military offensive Israel carries out in Gaza, the dominant narrative is that it is a response to rocket fire from Gaza into southern Israel. This is how it's being reported in the US, and this is how virtually every American understands it.

And it's a lie.

It's true that on Saturday, prior to the expanded Israeli bombardment, the military wing of the Popular Front For the Liberation of Palestine shot an anti-tank missile at an Israeli Defense Forces vehicle near the Gaza border, wounding four Israeli soldiers. But what prompted the firing of the anti-tank missile?

First, on Monday, November 5th, Israeli forces shot and killed 23 year old Ahmad Nabhani when he "approached the border fence with Israel." According to at least one account, Nabhani was mentally challenged.

Then, on Thursday, November 8th, the Israeli Occupation Forces - eight tanks and four bulldozers, to be exact - invaded southern Gaza, shooting and killing a 13-year old boy. Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (via):

According to investigations conducted by PCHR, at approximately 16:30 on Thursday, as a result of the indiscriminate shooting by IOF military vehicles that had moved into the ‘Abassan village, 13-year-old Ahmed Younis Khader Abu Daqqa was seriously wounded by a bullet to the abdomen. At the time he was shot, Ahmed had been playing football with his friends in front of his family's house, located nearly 1,200 meters away from the area where the IOF were present.

So, even if honest observers brush to the side the cruel and inhumane Israeli blockade on Gaza and refuse to let it influence the equation of exactly which side started this flare up of violence, it is clear Israel started this latest clash. And in response to the response, Israel has waged a harsh, disproportionate military assault.

This would be a simple thing to understand if, for example, Western media bothered to ask the other side what happened. Palestinian news media immediately reported that the anti-tank missile Israel was supposedly responding to was admitted to by the Popular Resistance Committees, who described it as "revenge" for preceding Israeli violence on Gaza. But that basic task of honest journalism is apparently out of the question.

Every single Israeli incursion or attack on Gaza is accompanied by the same narrative: Israel fairly responded to unprovoked Palestinian rocket fire. The last major war on Gaza, Operation Cast Lead in December '08-January '09, also carried this narrative. Israel committed war crimes in that one-sided conflict, targeting and killing hundreds of civilians, using indiscriminate weapons, and intentionally destroying civilian infrastructure. It has become an accepted fact - even among critics of Israel - that the offensive was a response to Hamas rocket fire. The rocket fire did indeed occur immediately before the assault, but it was in response to Israel's breaking of the six-month cease-fire, which even Israeli officials in WikiLeaks cables admitted Hamas had kept to.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
Due9
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM

There is no innocent party in this battle.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

popcorn

poshkat
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Want to know why I see it differently? Because I grew up in Israel. As a child I watched my neighbors be burned alive in their car in the intifada in the late 80s, I sat in a safe room wearing a gas mask in 1991 while bombs dropped all around us. my father fought in the 6 day war, my grandfather fought in the liberation war, and my whole family served in the army. Why don't you put a gas mask on and tell me how you feel?

I did not once say Israel was innocent in this. It's been going on for way too long and it ends to stop. So until you are there (on either side) you have no clue other than what the media tells you. You haven't lived it, you sit in America (like I am and am super greatful to my parents for bringing us here and making sure we would be safe from that particular turmoil) and read all the articles and make your decisions based on bias opinions from people who have not been there to see these things first hand. They sit behind their desks and see pictures and base their articles on press conferences they have listened to.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah you're way off honey america backs Israel so trust me I'm not watching the media but had many good friends wo lived in Haifa, Ramallah, deirdebwan, so don't give me that and I've been there. 

Don't u think it'll all stop if Israel stops occupying Palestinian territory?

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Want to know why I see it differently? Because I grew up in Israel. As a child I watched my neighbors be burned alive in their car in the intifada in the late 80s, I sat in a safe room wearing a gas mask in 1991 while bombs dropped all around us. my father fought in the 6 day war, my grandfather fought in the liberation war, and my whole family served in the army. Why don't you put a gas mask on and tell me how you feel?

I did not once say Israel was innocent in this. It's been going on for way too long and it ends to stop. So until you are there (on either side) you have no clue other than what the media tells you. You haven't lived it, you sit in America (like I am and am super greatful to my parents for bringing us here and making sure we would be safe from that particular turmoil) and read all the articles and make your decisions based on bias opinions from people who have not been there to see these things first hand. They sit behind their desks and see pictures and base their articles on press conferences they have listened to.

poshkat
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Not all of America. I have been here long enough (19 years this passed august) to see and hear enough things that make me cringe. Unless they lived it they really can't form a proper opinion. Thank you for not flipping out on me, I appreciate that.

As for it ever stopping, I honestly don't have a clue. We can all hope but I really don't know.
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I'm sorry your family has to go through this. It's not fair and it's not right, but neither is the entire conflict. Palestine is not innocent, but your family being cruelly trapped in violence does not make Israel innocent either. They're both monstrous for everything they've done. It just so happens that THIS time it was Israel who shed innocent blood first.

Quoting poshkat:

Yeah....how about you tell this bullshit to my 90 year old grandpa who has to be shuffled down to the cellar every time there's a bomb falling on Israel. Or my mom, who is my grandfather's care taker. Or my cousins, or my cousin's 4 year old, or my aunts and uncles?

How about we fly to Israel together just you and me and you can explain everything in detail to the screaming 4 year-old that thinks she's going to die because a bomb fell across the street on her friends house?

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

poshkat
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Quoting sucker4myloves:

I never once said Israel was innocent. I have spoken to my family and for the last few weeks they have been bombed prior to Israel retaliating. I'm not here to get into arguments. I don't agree with the conflict now that I am old enough to understand it.

All I'm saying is that unless you have been there on either side you cannot form an educated opinion. Basing your opinion based on articles like this is definitely not a way to form an opinion when it comes to this particular problem
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I must respectfully disagree. Those in the rest of the world outside of Israel and Palestine must form an objective opinion; those in the conflict have an opinion colored by the horrors they've faced. Besides that, those outside of the conflict are the ones who will be called to arms when things get out of hand, as one day they will; how are we to choose if we haven't formed an opinion? It's wise to form an objective opinion about the entire thing, not based on one article, but based on years of research.

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting sucker4myloves:

I never once said Israel was innocent. I have spoken to my family and for the last few weeks they have been bombed prior to Israel retaliating. I'm not here to get into arguments. I don't agree with the conflict now that I am old enough to understand it.

All I'm saying is that unless you have been there on either side you cannot form an educated opinion. Basing your opinion based on articles like this is definitely not a way to form an opinion when it comes to this particular problem

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

beaugrl0824
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM
I was watching the news at work last night and thinking to myself. I know there was a mom and her family on cm that moved to Israel I wonder if she's okay? I hope you guys are safe!

Quoting TableforSeven:

What a load of crap!
And what cease-fire?! Please tell my friends who live in southern Israel when the terrorists in Gaza stopped firing rockets on their town....because they have been running to shelters almost daily in the 18 months since they moved there to avoid being hit. All this while the Israeli military sat on their hands allowing hit-after-hit on civilians to avoid back-lash from the rest of the world that is too blind, or stupid, to really know what is going on and attacks Israel when we finally say ENOUGH and strike back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Quoting sucker4myloves:

But that's just it, people don't form their opinions based on years of research. They see an article like this or one that's from Israel's point of view and don't bother to think about anything else. It took me years to form my opinion which is that I don't believe the conflict will end any time soon and that neither side is innocent, and that's after living through the things I did. Someone out there is saying the same exact hinges as me but about their family in Gaza.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN