Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Social Site For Tweens

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm looking for advice or suggestions for sites for my son to join. He's almost 10 and is a really big gamer. I don't want him to become a shut-in and only play games on X Box. I want him to have a social life as well. We haven't always lived in a town but now that we do, sometimes other kids that he goes to school with can't always come over and play. 

I have looked at several sites by google'ing different things for tweens. Thing is, he's too mature of the clubpenguin and sites like that. He needs a more "teen" aged site but most of those require that you be 13 to join. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? I want him to be able to find other boys and girls that are interested in the same activities that he is.

Thanks!

briefcaseDemi Spencer, President 

www.tbmplaza.com
www.thebizymomma.com
"Moms helping moms in need".
Message me for more information :)

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjoarcik
by Kori on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM

BUMP!

christina0607
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Facebook?

Honestly I don't think online gaming can be considered a social life. I actually think it's the opposite of a social life.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Quoting christina0607:

Facebook?

Honestly I don't think online gaming can be considered a social life. I actually think it's the opposite of a social life.

I agree! OP is there a local rec club he can join or club at school?

CafeMom Tickers
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I wouldn't do it because even if it suppose to be a teen site that doesn't make it true.

I would get him in a extracurricular activity instead swimming , chess, sports real social interaction that's the only way he will have a social life 

daspencer08
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting christina0607:

Facebook?

He has a facebook but hardly ever uses it! Gaming isn't the social life I want him to have at all. I mean, yeah, he can get on Live and talk to others and play with them but he's life can't revolve around gaming 24/7. He just can't find any other ways online to have fun unless that's what he is doing. 

briefcaseDemi Spencer, President 

www.tbmplaza.com
www.thebizymomma.com
"Moms helping moms in need".
Message me for more information :)

daspencer08
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

And he does have other things he does. He's active in Boy Scouts and does fall league tackle football and summer league baseball. We live in a small area. There isn't much for kids here. I never did anything at all when I was growing up. My parents didn't want me involved in anything and I really missed out a lot. I don't want my son growing up like that.

I think he could benefit well if he had somewhere positive he could get online and communicate with others. 

christina0607
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quoting daspencer08:

Quoting christina0607:

Facebook?

He has a facebook but hardly ever uses it! Gaming isn't the social life I want him to have at all. I mean, yeah, he can get on Live and talk to others and play with them but he's life can't revolve around gaming 24/7. He just can't find any other ways online to have fun unless that's what he is doing. 

If he isn't finding things that interest him on line then maybe find things that have nothing to do with the computer.

Why does he have to find things to do on a computer?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

daspencer08
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It's not that he HAS to find things to do on the computer but let's face it, most kids today are into tech related stuff. 

He gets outside and does things... a lot of things.. but that only last for a short time. He needs like-minded people to talk too. 

My son is very smart for his age. He is much more mature than the others in his class and he doesn't find school to be challenging at all. They are working on getting him into a gifted program with higher standards on learning.. which will be good but so far, that has taken 2 years and they are just now testing him. 

Ollie123
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

My DD used to be apart of Kidzworld.com. Have you looked at it? That was her intro to social media. She did pretty good on it.

Ollie123
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting daspencer08:

Quoting christina0607:

Facebook?

If he isn't finding things that interest him on line then maybe find things that have nothing to do with the computer.

Why does he have to find things to do on a computer?

She is looking for a social media sight for her son. It does not mean he has no social life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)