Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Opinions wanted.

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

Situation:

Parent *A* has full custody of 9 yr old child.  Parent *B* has visits every other weekend.  Child goes to *B*'s house for visit, talks to *A* the next day.  Child tells *A* over the phone that he's had a severe cough (no cough at all before visit) and that *B* gave him cough syrup and an inhaler on Friday. 

Child doesn't have asthma, no sign of cough at all before going that night to *B*'s.  *B* is known to complain regularly that child goes there with a cough or cold (never witnessed by the primary *A*) and gives child cough medicine often.  *A* suspects that the sleepy medicine is given to "calm" the behavioral disordered child, but cannot prove it. 

*B* emails after they hear child mention the inhaler to *A*. 

Just wanted to clarify a few things. Child has had a horrible cough since he got in my car yesterday.

He laid down for bed and couldn't get to sleep because of the cough. I gave him robitussin cold and cough as well as two puffs of an Albuteral 5mg inhaler. Before giving him the inhaler I called my pharmacy to make sure it was ok with his medicine. Perfectly safe and much needed.

Curious on your opinions?  The only medication he is prescribed is Abilify for his behavioral issues.  This is a very healthy child, rarely ever gets sick.   

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
inhalers contain steroids that should never be given without doctors orders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I would see a lawyer about preventing the  B parent from administering medicines.

I would have a problem with a child being given Albuterol that was NOT prescribed to the child.

I would take that email to a lawyer on Monday morning and seek soul custody - or some type of medical restirction on the  B parent.

SticksnStones
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I suggested that at least parent *A* sends an email to tell *B* not to give the child any more of the inhaler.  Eh, parent *A* doesn't think they should "start a fight" by sending a polite email.  So... what do you do?  Sit on it, I guess.  =/  (It would start a one sided fight, btw, but anything would start a fight with parent *B* just because they like to fight.)

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I would see a lawyer about preventing the  B parent from administering medicines.

I would have a problem with a child being given Albuterol that was NOT prescribed to the child.

I would take that email to a lawyer on Monday morning and seek soul custody - or some type of medical restirction on the  B parent.

waffa
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would tell A & B to grow the fuck up, quit being kids about their 9 y/o, and get him to a Dr to diagnose/treat and not home treat any symptoms.

Quoting SticksnStones:

I suggested that at least parent *A* sends an email to tell *B* not to give the child any more of the inhaler.  Eh, parent *A* doesn't think they should "start a fight" by sending a polite email.  So... what do you do?  Sit on it, I guess.  =/  (It would start a one sided fight, btw, but anything would start a fight with parent *B* just because they like to fight.)

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)