Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't sit your infant carrier on the floor in public!

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at Macy's today, there were 3 people in line. An old lady who was paying, a mom with a newborn in a carrier and me at the end.
The lady in front of me with the infant carrier sets the carrier on the floor beside her. The old lady paying in front of her takes a step backwards, when she did she tripped over the infant carrier and fell directly on top of the newborn, she had no idea the carrier was there. Old lady is hurt, baby is hurt, everyone is screaming at each other. Ambulance had to be called, both old lady and newborn went to the ER.
While out in a public place, do not sit your infant carrier on the ground!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM
9 moms liked this
Reason 2,346 not to use an infant carrier. Just get a carseat that stays in the car and wear your baby or use a stroller.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_WC_Mama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Oh my gosh how scary,I hope the Lady & Baby were OK!!,we saw a Lady get carted off in an Ambulance from Rite Ait Today while we were shopping there but for a totally different reason.

mgm_5
by Mari on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:38 PM
7 moms liked this
Was she up the ladies ass for the lady to take a step back and trip over it, i hate people that stand super close to me in line, geez let me breathe!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM
I saw that today too. I took DD out for lunch and right before we left a family came in and the mom sat her infant seat on the floor in the aisle next to the table. I wanted to yell at her for it so badly. Lol
grey7399
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

UGH why don't people think?

When we took our babies to restaurants, we didn't put them in the highchair in the walk way, the possibility of someone or waitstaff spilling a hot plate or liquid on them was to much.

I rarely used a carrier but I did on occasion and when I did I was very careful about it.  I soon deemed a carrier to be the biggest pain in the ass EVER.  I used wraps and strollers.

epoh
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I gave up on any kind of carrying method besides wrapping when my DD was 6 mos.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Reason 2,346 not to use an infant carrier. Just get a carseat that stays in the car and wear your baby or use a stroller.
FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM
17 moms liked this

set it between your own legs, or between yoruself and a counter etc.

Its not setting it on the ffloor thats the problem 

its being completely oblivious of those around you and not paying attention.

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM
4 moms liked this

some people are unable to "wear" their babies.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

manicMOM_DLC
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't know. those fucking things get HEAVY. Maybe dont set it directly behind people. Or be watchful of someone doing what the old lady did. Everyone is kind of at fault here...
heresjohnny
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM
19 moms liked this

Sounds like someone should be watching where they step. I mean, really, she stepped backwards without looking? Am I not allowed to let my toddler walk in a store because someone might trip over him? I agree this is a terrible story, but let's be serious, the blame lays with the person who stepped without looking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)