Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't sit your infant carrier on the floor in public!

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at Macy's today, there were 3 people in line. An old lady who was paying, a mom with a newborn in a carrier and me at the end.
The lady in front of me with the infant carrier sets the carrier on the floor beside her. The old lady paying in front of her takes a step backwards, when she did she tripped over the infant carrier and fell directly on top of the newborn, she had no idea the carrier was there. Old lady is hurt, baby is hurt, everyone is screaming at each other. Ambulance had to be called, both old lady and newborn went to the ER.
While out in a public place, do not sit your infant carrier on the ground!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
mich.el.le
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Holding a 35 lb object for several minutes isn't exactly easy.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM
19 moms liked this
No it doesn't. The dumb ass mom set the bulky ass infant carrier on the ground directly behind the old lady, not leaving any room for the elderly lady to walk away from the counter. It is a parents responsibility to make sure their child is safe.

Quoting heresjohnny:

Sounds like someone should be watching where they step. I mean, really, she stepped backwards without looking? Am I not allowed to let my toddler walk in a store because someone might trip over him? I agree this is a terrible story, but let's be serious, the blame lays with the person who stepped without looking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM
35 pounds? Her baby couldn't have been more than a week old. He was tiny, smaller than either of my kids were as newborns and my kids were both over 8 pounds.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting Paperfishies:

35 pounds? Her baby couldn't have been more than a week old. He was tiny, smaller than either of my kids were as newborns and my kids were both over 8 pounds.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Oh, well I was thinking of my fat babies. lol  Their seat was about 20 lbs (maybe a little less), and by 4 months they were 15 lbs. lol

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this
"or use a stroller." covered that.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

some people are unable to "wear" their babies.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Reason 2,346 not to use an infant carrier. Just get a carseat that stays in the car and wear your baby or use a stroller.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamMa
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Oh no! I hope they're both okay!!! That's scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BamaMommy2
by Angel.N.Disguise on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Oh wow! I hope they are ok.

momto3infl
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM

In stores like that always used my stroller-only had on floor was at dr office or home.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this
The carrier I had was easily 20lbs (safety 1st air35, or something like that). Add a baby to that, and it gets pretty heavy pretty fast. I agree with what someone else said - both people were in the wrong, not jut the one who set the carrier down.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurtleSquish
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM

i'm not attacking you, just a general question: why the hell would you get a carseat you KNEW you were going to carry around that weighs 20 lbs? The carseat I have in my car right now is 20lbs when it's being SHIPPED (britax 70 g-3) I seriously doubt your infant seat was 20 pounds (i just looked it up and the shipping weight is less than 20 pounds in the box, so minus the base, box and packing materials, your car seat was probably 8 or 9 pounds)

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

The carrier I had was easily 20lbs (safety 1st air35, or something like that). Add a baby to that, and it gets pretty heavy pretty fast. I agree with what someone else said - both people were in the wrong, not jut the one who set the carrier down.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)