Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't sit your infant carrier on the floor in public!

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at Macy's today, there were 3 people in line. An old lady who was paying, a mom with a newborn in a carrier and me at the end.
The lady in front of me with the infant carrier sets the carrier on the floor beside her. The old lady paying in front of her takes a step backwards, when she did she tripped over the infant carrier and fell directly on top of the newborn, she had no idea the carrier was there. Old lady is hurt, baby is hurt, everyone is screaming at each other. Ambulance had to be called, both old lady and newborn went to the ER.
While out in a public place, do not sit your infant carrier on the ground!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
Allebas
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM

WOAH!!! That is so sad!! When I used the baby carriers out in public, I would ALWAYS put them in the 'big' section of a shopping cart, and just push the cart around the store. I would leave them in the shopping cart until I was ready to leave the store. I NEVER put the carrier on the floor in any store/restaurant! That is just "ASKING" for something bad to happen! I HOPE the lady and the baby are both alright!!

lovemymichael
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Holy crap geez Louise Jimminy crickets what a mess! :( 

desperatelyTTC
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Holy crap!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrylicmom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I always had a fear of this happening!  OMG SCARY! 

rawrmommysaurus
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I will never under stand this.  :(  

its not that hard to get the stroller out, and clip the carrier in.  

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I hope the newborn and the old lady are ok. 

LuLuThatsWho
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM
12 moms liked this

This is not about putting the baby on the floor.  This is about two adults who weren't paying attention.  The mom should not have been so close.  The old lady should have been more aware of where she was going.

alwayskk
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Meh.

Due9
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
That lady with the carrier sounds like she set it too close behind the older lady. I hate people that dont know how to respect space...especially when standing in a line. One time I was at walmart and this biotch was so close to me she hit me in the butt wirh her buggy....I let it go the first time, but she kept hitting me...yeah, needless to say, let her know she better back off of me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs_mom906
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Here is the car seat I had:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3916142&prodFindSrc=pn
Product weight was 21.5lbs, minus the base - close to 20lbs
It was a heavy thing, and I didn't carry it around often. I had a Moby wrap and ergo carrier I used 90% of the time. The rest of the time i just carried him. I was simply stating that if I had to carry that around, I can see where it would be very heavy, very fast.

Quoting TurtleSquish:

i'm not attacking you, just a general question: why the hell would you get a carseat you KNEW you were going to carry around that weighs 20 lbs? The carseat I have in my car right now is 20lbs when it's being SHIPPED (britax 70 g-3) I seriously doubt your infant seat was 20 pounds (i just looked it up and the shipping weight is less than 20 pounds in the box, so minus the base, box and packing materials, your car seat was probably 8 or 9 pounds)

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

The carrier I had was easily 20lbs (safety 1st air35, or something like that). Add a baby to that, and it gets pretty heavy pretty fast. I agree with what someone else said - both people were in the wrong, not jut the one who set the carrier down.

Quoting Paperfishies:

35 pounds? Her baby couldn't have been more than a week old. He was tiny, smaller than either of my kids were as newborns and my kids were both over 8 pounds.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Holding a 35 lb object for several minutes isn't exactly easy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN