Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't sit your infant carrier on the floor in public!

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at Macy's today, there were 3 people in line. An old lady who was paying, a mom with a newborn in a carrier and me at the end.
The lady in front of me with the infant carrier sets the carrier on the floor beside her. The old lady paying in front of her takes a step backwards, when she did she tripped over the infant carrier and fell directly on top of the newborn, she had no idea the carrier was there. Old lady is hurt, baby is hurt, everyone is screaming at each other. Ambulance had to be called, both old lady and newborn went to the ER.
While out in a public place, do not sit your infant carrier on the ground!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
TurtleSquish
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

your car seat didn't come with the base?
Aslen
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting heresjohnny:

Sounds like someone should be watching where they step. I mean, really, she stepped backwards without looking? Am I not allowed to let my toddler walk in a store because someone might trip over him? I agree this is a terrible story, but let's be serious, the blame lays with the person who stepped without looking.

And not with the mothers for putting her child on the floor?

I agree with OP and PPs, if you can't or don't want to hold on the to carrier, either don't use it or get a stroller. Problem solved!

This is like the robber blaming the homeowner because they got hurt while breaking in to someones house

lovebugs_mom906
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:40 AM
As I said before, yes it had a base. The total weight was 21.5 lbs, minus the 2lb base, put the carrier at close to 20lbs, before adding my chunky monkey. It was big, it was bulky, it rarely left my car.

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

your car seat didn't come with the base?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Scary... :(
a-SiZZLe
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM
8 moms liked this

I disagree. The mom was in the wrong. Lets put it in a different scenario...say the mom didn't put the baby carrier down, say instead it was a bulky box, or bed in a bag set and the woman toppled over it. The woman who set the items down would be in the wrong. You can not set things behind people and expect them to know that the items are there, and last time I checked a human can not turn their head 180 degrees to check. Taking a step in either direction without tripping is not asking much. 

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

The carrier I had was easily 20lbs (safety 1st air35, or something like that). Add a baby to that, and it gets pretty heavy pretty fast. I agree with what someone else said - both people were in the wrong, not jut the one who set the carrier down.

Quoting Paperfishies:

35 pounds? Her baby couldn't have been more than a week old. He was tiny, smaller than either of my kids were as newborns and my kids were both over 8 pounds.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Holding a 35 lb object for several minutes isn't exactly easy.

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Sounds to me that it was the older ladys fault as well as the mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacksMom1221
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM
How sad. I hope the baby is ok. That was always a fear of mine so I rarely put him down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vrbtnseele
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. There's safe ways to put the carrier down, I always used one with DD and never even had a close call. People (mother and others) just need to be aware of the surroundings and mother should chose a "safe" place to put it down.

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

This is not about putting the baby on the floor.  This is about two adults who weren't paying attention.  The mom should not have been so close.  The old lady should have been more aware of where she was going.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM
They are the biggest pain! I used one with my 8 yr old when she was a baby and for a short time with my second child. I couldn't stand it anymore. I got a convertible seat and used that with the next 2 from newborn up. I just wore them in a wrap or used a stroller.

Quoting grey7399:

UGH why don't people think?

When we took our babies to restaurants, we didn't put them in the highchair in the walk way, the possibility of someone or waitstaff spilling a hot plate or liquid on them was to much.

I rarely used a carrier but I did on occasion and when I did I was very careful about it.  I soon deemed a carrier to be the biggest pain in the ass EVER.  I used wraps and strollers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Very good PSA:)

I had an awful mom-bucket seat moment after my daughter was born. I put the carrier in the shopping cart, in the front where the kids seat is. I was checking out and put my daughter in the bucket seat unstrapped. I bumped it and the bucket seat tilted upwards and if I hadn't put my hands on it right away, she would have fell forward. I grabbed her, strapped her in. I made it to the car loaded up, called my husband, and started crying. It Could have been awful, but wasn't.

From then on, I used a wrap or put the bucket seat in the part where the groceries go.

So please don't put the baby carrier in the front, either!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN