Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Tv time, what's appropriate?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 38 Replies
What do u think an appropriate amount of tv time would be for a 3 yr old daily?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jade89
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM
At three my son maybe got an hour a week, if that...

But it's the parent's decision really, there's no "right" amount of time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is a personal choice for every parent to make.

In our house the TV is on ALL day if we are home. It has always been this way. The kids are not glued in front of it ever. They come and go, watch a little, go play.... This works for us and I don't foresee a change anytime soon.

LucyHarper
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Half an hour tops.

Rowdys.Mommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM
This is kinda how it is at our house. We only use Netflix and ds's tv is available at all times but he really does not watch it much, most of the time the tv is on idol

Quoting sarah824:

I think it is a personal choice for every parent to make.

In our house the TV is on ALL day if we are home. It has always been this way. The kids are not glued in front of it ever. They come and go, watch a little, go play.... This works for us and I don't foresee a change anytime soon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

It is more important what they are watching than how much.  Choose what amount works best for your child.  I always tried to concentrate more on variety than how much.  If my kids ask to watch TV I usually ask what else they have done today.  My oldest has been know to have a list ready to tell me what he has done so far today.  I would try and encourage other activities as much as you can.  

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

We concentrated more on quality than quantity.  She watched almost all educational type shows so PBS could be on for 3-4 hours with their childrens programming.  She would play while listening to it.  Same with other channels.  She is 6 now and still prefers disney jr or pbs sprout for her programs.  She loves Doc McStuffins.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I don't necessarily limit time. I feel like as long as tv time is balanced with play time, cuddle time, learning time, chores, etc, than it doesn't matter how much is watched.

My almost 5 year old some days watches 20-30 mins a day, some days none at all and some days as much as 3-4 hours (2 movies at 90 mins each)

piwife
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I don't limit tv I do limit what they allow to watch. Just cuz the tv is on doesn't mean they are actually watching most times is background noise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarineLewis
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Dh has a college class called Lifespan yada yada yada. In the chapel about toddlers it says that the American Academy of Pediatrics says no more than 2 hours of quality tv. Like everyone has said though, it's up to the mom to decide.
I have it on for background noise every now and then with Blues Clues or Bob the Builder. My 10 month old watches only a tiny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM
I don't think there is any appropriate time for that age group. I would think there shouldn't be any time allotted to just watching TV.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN