Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What do u think an appropriate amount of tv time would be for a 3 yr old daily?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
celticgodess
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

I don't necessarily limit time. I feel like as long as tv time is balanced with play time, cuddle time, learning time, chores, etc, than it doesn't matter how much is watched.

My almost 5 year old some days watches 20-30 mins a day, some days none at all and some days as much as 3-4 hours (2 movies at 90 mins each)

i do try to limit time, but it varies as above depending on our schedule, her behavior, how I'm feeling from 0-3 hours

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1-2 hours a day. Sometimes it was more. Sometimes it was less.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Idk. My kids often shut the tv off. It's the damn hand held games I have to fight over. Seriously they would be on them all day. UGH

Hatred4none
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:15 AM

That's not true, studys show that screen time before age 2 should minimal but none is better.   what I've noticed in my ds(he's 3yo)is that even if its been a few days since he's watched anything if he sits and watches any amount of tv,iPad, phone he becomes hyperactive and very irritable. I think it's bc he sits still for so long (anything from 15min to an hour), when he is having screen time is the only time besides nap time that he is not doing anything. And it also makes him less interactive and responsive with us, more fussy. Other than that as an adult who has still allows too much screen time for myself I will say it makes you lose time, where you think only an hour has passed but truly it's been 2-3hours. When we do shrink our (as a family) screen time he hardly misses it.

Quoting jen2150:

It is more important what they are watching than how much.  Choose what amount works best for your child.  I always tried to concentrate more on variety than how much.  If my kids ask to watch TV I usually ask what else they have done today.  My oldest has been know to have a list ready to tell me what he has done so far today.  I would try and encourage other activities as much as you can.  

angelgrl5200
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 AM
whatever you see fit.
i have always been able to leave my tv on cartoons all day and my kiddos could really care less, they dont watch it much unless an interesting show is on. its always been that way.
i do have to limit video games and computer time though, they get an hour on each everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleSw
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Whenever mine wants she can.... it's not often she would actually sit and watch! 

HouseMa
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Less than an hour a day.

My teenager and 7 year old get an hour a day...and only if homework is done and their rooms are clean.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I totally agree with this approach.  I do the same thing because I like to be the one to decide what is too much on any given day.  If it's a beautiful day outside, we may very well watch none.  On a rainy day or if one of the kids is sick or something, it may be on more than normal.  I don't like setting a specific time limit because I want it to be at my discretion depending on the day. 

Certainly different things work for different kids and some kids may really dig a set amount of time type of rule, but in my limited experience (with 4 families I babysat for and two neighbors) the kids who have strict tv rules become obsessed with television...constantly wanting to know did they already use up all their tv time, did they choose the "right" shows to spend their tv minutes on....and those kids whose parents are a little more laid back about it aren't that into it.  My kids like watching something occasionally, but they'll choose playing outside, playing a board game, even looking at books with me over tv any day and I attribute that mostly to  not making tv become the "forbidden fruit."

Quoting spunky946:

We don't time it. If I feel likes it's been on too long we turn it off or don't let it come on for awhile.

jen2150
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Sorry I have to disagree with you.  What do you think is more beneficial an hour of spongebob or the discovery channel?   What is your son watching?  My son gets just as lost in a book he is reading as a show that he is watching.  When my kids were really young I was extremely careful what they were watching.  My sons got hooked on mythbusters at 3 and 4.  They would many times watch an episode and then go try an experiment, draw, or build something they saw.  Our TV time has helped to make them curious, inventive, and explore the world around them.  They are all into science.  I believe it is the early exposure to science through TV, videos, and books.  There are some things you just need to see to really appreciate it.  Some things that a book just can't give you.  Seeing is believing.  I am trying to teach my sons to limit themselves so I never set up time limits.  I only required them to have variety in their lives.  Many days they don't ask to watch TV at all.  Most of the studies are flawed.  They make no distinction between different types of viewing choices.

Quoting Hatred4none:

That's not true, studys show that screen time before age 2 should minimal but none is better.   what I've noticed in my ds(he's 3yo)is that even if its been a few days since he's watched anything if he sits and watches any amount of tv,iPad, phone he becomes hyperactive and very irritable. I think it's bc he sits still for so long (anything from 15min to an hour), when he is having screen time is the only time besides nap time that he is not doing anything. And it also makes him less interactive and responsive with us, more fussy. Other than that as an adult who has still allows too much screen time for myself I will say it makes you lose time, where you think only an hour has passed but truly it's been 2-3hours. When we do shrink our (as a family) screen time he hardly misses it.

Quoting jen2150:

It is more important what they are watching than how much.  Choose what amount works best for your child.  I always tried to concentrate more on variety than how much.  If my kids ask to watch TV I usually ask what else they have done today.  My oldest has been know to have a list ready to tell me what he has done so far today.  I would try and encourage other activities as much as you can.  

sweetmissy_05
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I think it's a personal decision.  Here the tv is on most of the day and my girls arent always glued to it......they play and all that too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)