Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
What do u think an appropriate amount of tv time would be for a 3 yr old daily?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Replies (31-38):
sarah.xo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I give DS 2 hours in the morning, we don't like him sitting in front of it all day.

BambiF
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

My dd is 3.5 and watches afew episodes of whatever on netflix during the day, while playing.  Then most nights before bed we all watch a family friendly show together (like americas funniest home videos lol, dd loves that)

Rowdys.Mommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM
I agree with you, when my sister was little she had friends that were restricted to minimal tv time at home and when they came over to spend the night instead of playing all they wanted to do was watch tv. I was raised with no stipulations on the tv and we don't even have cable at home now. I maybe watch one hour of Netflix a week.

Quoting Kmary:

I totally agree with this approach.  I do the same thing because I like to be the one to decide what is too much on any given day.  If it's a beautiful day outside, we may very well watch none.  On a rainy day or if one of the kids is sick or something, it may be on more than normal.  I don't like setting a specific time limit because I want it to be at my discretion depending on the day. 

Certainly different things work for different kids and some kids may really dig a set amount of time type of rule, but in my limited experience (with 4 families I babysat for and two neighbors) the kids who have strict tv rules become obsessed with television...constantly wanting to know did they already use up all their tv time, did they choose the "right" shows to spend their tv minutes on....and those kids whose parents are a little more laid back about it aren't that into it.  My kids like watching something occasionally, but they'll choose playing outside, playing a board game, even looking at books with me over tv any day and I attribute that mostly to  not making tv become the "forbidden fruit."

Quoting spunky946:

We don't time it. If I feel likes it's been on too long we turn it off or don't let it come on for awhile.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

EXACTLY!  My boys play with the 2 boys next door.  They get one hour of tv per day, which sounds fine on the surface, but these kids are insanely tv-obsessed.  They come over here and beg me to put it on.  They won't do anything here with my kids.  They basically use them because I'm more free with the tv watching.  My kids are begging them to go play in the yard and they're in front of the tv or computer like total zombies.  They don't even hear you when you try to speak to them!  I think strict tv limits are something that seem logical and are really well-intentioned, but end up sometimes having negative effects.

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

I agree with you, when my sister was little she had friends that were restricted to minimal tv time at home and when they came over to spend the night instead of playing all they wanted to do was watch tv. I was raised with no stipulations on the tv and we don't even have cable at home now. I maybe watch one hour of Netflix a week.

Quoting Kmary:

I totally agree with this approach.  I do the same thing because I like to be the one to decide what is too much on any given day.  If it's a beautiful day outside, we may very well watch none.  On a rainy day or if one of the kids is sick or something, it may be on more than normal.  I don't like setting a specific time limit because I want it to be at my discretion depending on the day. 

Certainly different things work for different kids and some kids may really dig a set amount of time type of rule, but in my limited experience (with 4 families I babysat for and two neighbors) the kids who have strict tv rules become obsessed with television...constantly wanting to know did they already use up all their tv time, did they choose the "right" shows to spend their tv minutes on....and those kids whose parents are a little more laid back about it aren't that into it.  My kids like watching something occasionally, but they'll choose playing outside, playing a board game, even looking at books with me over tv any day and I attribute that mostly to  not making tv become the "forbidden fruit."

Quoting spunky946:

We don't time it. If I feel likes it's been on too long we turn it off or don't let it come on for awhile.

Hatred4none
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

My son watches national geo, animal planet, sometimes extreme engineering, if any cartoons he watches Tomas train or baby looney. On my tablet he'll play interactive picture and word recognition puzzle games. But I think bc the screen is unlimited access to unlimited info, children never tire of it. He also loves books and he'll sit there for 10-15 min looking through a book he likes but then he'll get up and do other things. He doesn't do that with screen time. How old are your children and how much screen time do they get?

Quoting jen2150:

Sorry I have to disagree with you.  What do you think is more beneficial an hour of spongebob or the discovery channel?   What is your son watching?  My son gets just as lost in a book he is reading as a show that he is watching.  When my kids were really young I was extremely careful what they were watching.  My sons got hooked on mythbusters at 3 and 4.  They would many times watch an episode and then go try an experiment, draw, or build something they saw.  Our TV time has helped to make them curious, inventive, and explore the world around them.  They are all into science.  I believe it is the early exposure to science through TV, videos, and books.  There are some things you just need to see to really appreciate it.  Some things that a book just can't give you.  Seeing is believing.  I am trying to teach my sons to limit themselves so I never set up time limits.  I only required them to have variety in their lives.  Many days they don't ask to watch TV at all.  Most of the studies are flawed.  They make no distinction between different types of viewing choices.

Quoting Hatred4none:

That's not true, studys show that screen time before age 2 should minimal but none is better.   what I've noticed in my ds(he's 3yo)is that even if its been a few days since he's watched anything if he sits and watches any amount of tv,iPad, phone he becomes hyperactive and very irritable. I think it's bc he sits still for so long (anything from 15min to an hour), when he is having screen time is the only time besides nap time that he is not doing anything. And it also makes him less interactive and responsive with us, more fussy. Other than that as an adult who has still allows too much screen time for myself I will say it makes you lose time, where you think only an hour has passed but truly it's been 2-3hours. When we do shrink our (as a family) screen time he hardly misses it.

Quoting jen2150:

It is more important what they are watching than how much.  Choose what amount works best for your child.  I always tried to concentrate more on variety than how much.  If my kids ask to watch TV I usually ask what else they have done today.  My oldest has been know to have a list ready to tell me what he has done so far today.  I would try and encourage other activities as much as you can.  

jen2150
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

They are 8 and 10 years old.   It really depends on the day.  I would say anywhere from 0-3 hours.  We watch a lot of educational shows.  We just watched a national geographic on black holes.  They will go days without watching anything.  We also homeschool so a lot of their screen time is taken up with educational pursuits.  The black holes show we watched was part of a unit study we did on Astronomy.  I would say entertainment shows are usually around an hour per day at most.  They occasionally watch a movie a couple of times per week.  I try and concentrate on teaching them to limit themselves.  I always make sure their days involve a lot of different activities.  I have all the things they watch on my dvr so many times they will watch one show and then when it is done they will go and do some other activity.  They don't watch things for hours on end.  Computer time is the only thing I will time.  I let them decide the amount of time.  It is almost impossible for them to keep track all on their own while on the computer.  I am not against setting limits.  I just think we should concentrate on content over how much they are watching.  My sons can sit and listen to me read to them until my throat goes dry.   They have great attention spans.  They love me to read long chapter books to them.  I started when they were quite young.  When they were young I would read out loud while they played.  I read them poems mostly.  Attention spans are like muscles they get bigger with use.  I have always worked on gradually expanding their attention spans.  Your son sounds like a very typical boy.    Children tire of things when they lose their interest.  I keep looking for things that interest them.  

Quoting Hatred4none:

My son watches national geo, animal planet, sometimes extreme engineering, if any cartoons he watches Tomas train or baby looney. On my tablet he'll play interactive picture and word recognition puzzle games. But I think bc the screen is unlimited access to unlimited info, children never tire of it. He also loves books and he'll sit there for 10-15 min looking through a book he likes but then he'll get up and do other things. He doesn't do that with screen time. How old are your children and how much screen time do they get?

Quoting jen2150:

Sorry I have to disagree with you.  What do you think is more beneficial an hour of spongebob or the discovery channel?   What is your son watching?  My son gets just as lost in a book he is reading as a show that he is watching.  When my kids were really young I was extremely careful what they were watching.  My sons got hooked on mythbusters at 3 and 4.  They would many times watch an episode and then go try an experiment, draw, or build something they saw.  Our TV time has helped to make them curious, inventive, and explore the world around them.  They are all into science.  I believe it is the early exposure to science through TV, videos, and books.  There are some things you just need to see to really appreciate it.  Some things that a book just can't give you.  Seeing is believing.  I am trying to teach my sons to limit themselves so I never set up time limits.  I only required them to have variety in their lives.  Many days they don't ask to watch TV at all.  Most of the studies are flawed.  They make no distinction between different types of viewing choices.

Quoting Hatred4none:

That's not true, studys show that screen time before age 2 should minimal but none is better.   what I've noticed in my ds(he's 3yo)is that even if its been a few days since he's watched anything if he sits and watches any amount of tv,iPad, phone he becomes hyperactive and very irritable. I think it's bc he sits still for so long (anything from 15min to an hour), when he is having screen time is the only time besides nap time that he is not doing anything. And it also makes him less interactive and responsive with us, more fussy. Other than that as an adult who has still allows too much screen time for myself I will say it makes you lose time, where you think only an hour has passed but truly it's been 2-3hours. When we do shrink our (as a family) screen time he hardly misses it.

Quoting jen2150:

It is more important what they are watching than how much.  Choose what amount works best for your child.  I always tried to concentrate more on variety than how much.  If my kids ask to watch TV I usually ask what else they have done today.  My oldest has been know to have a list ready to tell me what he has done so far today.  I would try and encourage other activities as much as you can.  

sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

whatever the parent deems appropriate

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Hatred4none
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM

It is very true, attention span is something we build. I'm working on both my ds and dd (1yo) right now. When I start reading during the day they both keep coming back with a new book or want me to reread what we just read. My ds will stay the whole time and even questions and provides answers when questioned to stories and poems read. I'm all for content, but the OP was asking about a three yo and my original point was that at this young age I think attention to other good things that you can hold feel move around exam, such as trips to the ocean to exam sea shells or waves, a good book with no given explanation which leaves to their imagination, that is more important for their developing minds and bodies. I believe it may actually be easier for you to help your children limit themselves as they are older. 

Quoting jen2150:

They are 8 and 10 years old.   It really depends on the day.  I would say anywhere from 0-3 hours.  We watch a lot of educational shows.  We just watched a national geographic on black holes.  They will go days without watching anything.  We also homeschool so a lot of their screen time is taken up with educational pursuits.  The black holes show we watched was part of a unit study we did on Astronomy.  I would say entertainment shows are usually around an hour per day at most.  They occasionally watch a movie a couple of times per week.  I try and concentrate on teaching them to limit themselves.  I always make sure their days involve a lot of different activities.  I have all the things they watch on my dvr so many times they will watch one show and then when it is done they will go and do some other activity.  They don't watch things for hours on end.  Computer time is the only thing I will time.  I let them decide the amount of time.  It is almost impossible for them to keep track all on their own while on the computer.  I am not against setting limits.  I just think we should concentrate on content over how much they are watching.  My sons can sit and listen to me read to them until my throat goes dry.   They have great attention spans.  They love me to read long chapter books to them.  I started when they were quite young.  When they were young I would read out loud while they played.  I read them poems mostly.  Attention spans are like muscles they get bigger with use.  I have always worked on gradually expanding their attention spans.  Your son sounds like a very typical boy.    Children tire of things when they lose their interest.  I keep looking for things that interest them.  

Quoting Hatred4none:

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting Hatred4none:

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN