Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need cry it out advice.

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM
  • 57 Replies

So my 11 month old is upstairs crying. It's bedtime. I've fed him, changed his diaper we played he's rubbing his eyes. Should I let him cry it out or should I try and put him to sleep. What do you think? Why or why not?.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kappalopokis
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I would try to CIO unless he's upset for an excessive amount of time. If you stick with it he'll learn self soothe and settle down for bed on his own in just a few days. Just stick with it!

If he doesn't calm down in say 10-15 minutes, go in, tuck him in, kiss him, and leave. Give him 10-15 minutes again. Etc.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Is he, like, hard-core crying? Or more whining and fussing crying? If it's the second, just let him go. My oldest did that a few times...it was like she was so tired she couldn't go right out.

If he's crying hard, make sure he's not stuck or anything :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samantha.7272
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

What do you usually do? If you are just starting to let him cry it out  then I would go in every 10-15 minutes that he's crying and just pat his back for a few seconds, then leave. If he usually doesn't cry and you lay him down and he goes right to sleep then maybe he isn't feeling good?

Allinorder
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM
3 moms liked this
I would soothe him. Babies cry for a reason. I tried the CIO method with my oldest and I couldn't do it. I read somewhere you can't spoil a kid till 2 I think.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Let him cry he will go to sleep on his own.

ginger.mom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I tried to let my 2 yo DS CIO, we gave up after night 3, I went back to rocking him and then laying him down. He still has nights where he will wake up and come into our bed. CIO just didnt work, for us, he could go all night, 10-15 min just him, I come in, and sooth, and repate till 2 am when hubby really needed sleep for work. Good luck!

marihla
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I would never leave them crying for longer than 15 minutes. I don't do CIO with my children but there are children I've used it with in the past because it's the method their parents use. In my personal opinion, they are calling out to you to solve their problems and you are denying them.

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
4 moms liked this
No - cry it out is aweful and bad for children.

I can't fathom doing that to a child.
waffa
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

if it isn't a distress cry, let him go till he cries himself out and falls asleep.

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN