Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So my 11 month old is upstairs crying. It's bedtime. I've fed him, changed his diaper we played he's rubbing his eyes. Should I let him cry it out or should I try and put him to sleep. What do you think? Why or why not?.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Replies (51-57):
Bennett121
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Look up "The Ferber Method". This is where "cry it out" originated. If you are going to do it, I suggest you do it right.

You can't just let them scream their heads off until they collapse of exhaustion. (as some women on here believe that is what CIO is) lol. There is a method to the madness, and if you do it correctly, the child still knows you are available and they aren't really abandoned. With time they become independant.

Itzy0ll0tl
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I used to do 5 minute intervals, and Iwould stay outside her room. it nworked but DD was 6 months at that age. I would prep her for bed, as always, then the first night, I explaine to her things were going to change. :) hten I let her in her crib, and told her she needed to go to bed, Isaid good night, kissed her , and left. she started crying. at first it wa 2 minutes, then I would go inside and tell her, its time for bed, you are not alone, you need to go to bed, I am outside of yoru door, and leave. 2 miinutes alter come backin, and explain AGAIn. and leave. this would usually take 30 minutes at firsst. tthen I moved the 2 minutes to 5 minutes. until, he stiopped crying,

up to this date, we prep for bed together, and I tuck her, in, and leave, I know she is still awake, for a couple of minutes, sometimes Ihave gone inside her bedroom after 2 mintues,. and she is sound asleep . other times,I can hear she gets out of bedm and starts playying with her toy, I have had to go back in, explain to her, its bed time, and tuck her in again.

it takes time and patience, but at the end the rewards are amazing, GOOD LUCK!

hello_kitty25
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I dont CIO. Just because i feel like it must be SOMETHING, like gas, or anything, like my son needs me, so i boob him to sleep, or lay with him so he knows im there at least, i dont want him to feel alone. Ive only let him cio 2x. Wasnt the best sleep he ever got either :(

CrimsonGrace
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM
This is what I do as well. Babies cry for a reason, they need something, even if it is just a hug from mom.

Quoting Kitschy:

I'm not a fan of CIO personally. I did slow transitions for bed time and never had a crying kid. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM
I lcouldnt do it. My DD is five and she goes to sleep in five minutes. No tears, no tantrums
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Babies cry for reasons beyond hunger and a wet diaper. Sometimes babies just want to be snuggled. Imagine being that young, left alone in a room to cry yourself to sleep. Sometimes they just.....NEED us. I'm not a fan of letting babies CIO because crying is their only form of communication. I also do not believe in babies having strict sleeping schedules. Go love on your baby and rock him to sleep.

Sunshine2plus2
by Sunshine on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Let him cry for a few minutes, then go in his room, talk to him pat his butt, but DO NOT pick him up! Leave the room and repeat until he is asleep!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN