Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need to get this out - I want to scream and cry

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 11 Replies
A little backstory: we rented a house from a man almost 3 years ago. We loved the house, but the landlord was so shady. He had been using the house to grow marijuana, he would randomly show up at our house when dh wasn't home, a few times he just walked in, then we learned that he didn't own the house. He had made a comment to my dh that I "didn't know who I was messing with and better watch my back." We moved out about a week later after living in the house less than three months. The house sat empty after we left.

Earlier this year, my mom informed me that previous landlord, we will call him J, was arrested and facing a few felony charges. A week later the house we had lived in went into foreclosure. Dh and I decided to buy it. We loved this house, it has so much potential, an enormous yard, and tons of room. Plus, the sleazy landlord was in jail awaiting trial. We moved in on July 21st this year and things have been great.

Yesterday, I was talking with some friends of ours and we started talking about the landlord. Our friend's girlfriend told me about a website here in Illinois where I could look up his case. My jaw about hit the floor. It says he is a Class X felon. He has charges for growing marijuana, possession of marijuana, breaking and entering, criminal confinement and theft, plus a few traffic offenses. Then we looked at the case history and he was bailed out of jail in September. His hearing keeps getting postponed because he is trying to obtain private legal counsel. He had an appearance in September and his hearing was postponed until tomorrow. I am hoping with everything I have that they don't postpone it again.

I told dh about it when he got home from work yesterday and he said "well, he's been out since September and we haven't seen him, so I think we are fine" but I am so damn paranoid. I'm 24 weeks pregnant, I have two children who are 5 and 6, and dh works long hours. Yes, hes only a few blocks away, but still. I'm home alone most of the time. Our dog barks at people, but I don't think she would be much help if this guy tried to get into our home. Dh wanted me to get a gun for protection, but I have this ridiculous fear of loud noises. Just seeing a gun in a case at a store gives me instant anxiety. Now I'm considering getting something like a paintball gun with those pepper balls.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just freaking out a little. I had to get it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I'd do the paintball gun if you don't like loud noises. Or even a pellet gun (I think you can get a hand held pellet gun)

I don't blame being freaked out! Especially with just his past history with you guys! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeghanPerez
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Thanks. I'm trying to keep calm and not stress since I'm pregnant, but it's so hard.

Dh thinks this guy was on crack. He was always fidgeting and his front teeth were rotting out much in the same way a long time user's do. And as Katt Williams says, "crackheads wobble but they don't fall down". I wanted something powerful, but I honestly don't think I would be able to use an actual gun. I'm thinking the pepper balls and a CO2 gun is my best bet. It's not fatal, but it will hurt like hell.

Quoting a06z08mama:

I'd do the paintball gun if you don't like loud noises. Or even a pellet gun (I think you can get a hand held pellet gun)

I don't blame being freaked out! Especially with just his past history with you guys! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
It will stun him enough to know you mean business! But wont knock you on your butt either!

I would get it to have ready (put up if you have little ones). But try not to sit and stew and worry that he is coming. He may never show up but when he does. You will be ready. *also make sure to call 911 too. When he does show up*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bknotnobody
by Sadie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Sweetie go get a stun gun aka taser:-). Zap em till he craps em. Lol.

I doubt he will show but that'll knock him out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsPrincess37
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Praying for you right now that God protect you and the family and send his angels to guard your house.  Talk to God, he hears you. Ask him to protect you guys.  God bless you.

rune777
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

you could also get a home sicrity systom with panic button. run mock fierdrills like thay do in schools so your kids know diffrint ways to get out of the house to a nabor. also never underestamat a bat a good nock to the head will knock him out . try not to stres on it to much. ((HUG)) 

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

get a gun or a guard dog

i have a little shaunzer mix and she will raise a fit if she hears the slightest noise

my house i live in now has no window locks and just a little turn lock for the door so my daddy is going to buy me a gun for my christmas present

MeghanPerez
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM
We have an almost 6 year old Pit Bull. She looks intimidating and barks, but I'm not certain she would attack an intruder. She's all bark.

I am seriously looking into a CO2 gun with the pepper balls and a taser. I'm wanting something I can use to defend myself and my family without getting too close. I don't want to be in his face if the situation arises. Dh said if I see him around the house I should shoot first and ask questions later. But as of right now, my only defense is the dog. Haha

Quoting silverdawn99:

get a gun or a guard dog

i have a little shaunzer mix and she will raise a fit if she hears the slightest noise

my house i live in now has no window locks and just a little turn lock for the door so my daddy is going to buy me a gun for my christmas present

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeghanPerez
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Dh is considering a security system. We live in a tiny town with one police officer, so at times, there isn't anyone on duty.

The mock evacuation drills are such a good idea. I'm a little embarrassed that we didn't even think about that. Not just for this situation, but in the event of a fire. Big fail on my part. =\

Quoting rune777:

you could also get a home sicrity systom with panic button. run mock fierdrills like thay do in schools so your kids know diffrint ways to get out of the house to a nabor. also never underestamat a bat a good nock to the head will knock him out . try not to stres on it to much. ((HUG)) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rune777
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

i stared doing it when my oldest was 8 we lived in san diego at the time and thear was a masave fier. im glad it was usfull info

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)