Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Son's Phys Ed Teacher Said This??

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 38 Replies

I received a phone call from my son's phys ed teacher earlier and I am just shocked. My son has said many times that the phys ed teacher is mean and yells at them a lot. So today on the phone she informed me that during their "free time," (they are key words ), he likes to spin in circles. She informed him to stop and she said he became rude to her. I said what are they supposed to do during free time? She said anything they want. Umm HUH? 

Then I said how was he rude? She replied well he didn't say anything back and sucked in his cheeks. Umm Huh? 

The and this is the kicker, especially since I am working on my degree in special educations, she said I think your son needs an IEP. Woah, you really just said this to me? You cannot suggest this woman! 

I am not happy. 

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM

That is just odd.  Especially the IEP part.  DD has ADHD and is an A/B student...no IEP here.  GL with all that mess!

devastatedhurt
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Take it to the principal
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mkh615
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

How old is your DD? When was she diagnosed and is she on medication? Sorry about all of the questions but we're about to start dealing with a lot of this (DD1) stuff ourselves. I was diagnosed really young and I took a lot of medicine. I'm curious about other options.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

That is just odd.  Especially the IEP part.  DD has ADHD and is an A/B student...no IEP here.  GL with all that mess!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

mkh615
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I'd talk to the principal. That's weird and not ok for her to just come up with some flippant diagnosis.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM
3 moms liked this

lol you know by law she can't say that he needs an IEP. 

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM

She'd better consider herself lucky if all my nine year old did was suck in his cheeks.  He'd certainly say to her "umm I thought this was FREE TIME."  And actually  he does have an IEP so I guess in that instance an IEP meeting would be in order in her eyes. SMH.

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gypsy_rose:

lol you know by law she can't say that he needs an IEP. 

Why not? Not that the OP's kid needs an IEP but if my kid did exhibit worrisome behaviors at school I'd want someone to inform me that an IEP might be necessary.  Maybe because ds9 already has one it doesn't seem like the end of the world to me.

1likeme
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Go into the school and request a meeting with the teacher and the principal. Have your son tell you exactly what this teacher does that he feels is mean. Write everything he says down and then bring it with you. Before you go look up your districts policies on formal complaints. Let the principal know that if this teach continues to single out your child or in any way gets onto him after the meeting that you will follow the proper complaint procedures. If you feel in any way dismissed or you don't feel the matter is resolved make a formal complaint.
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Because they have no MEDICAL degrees. They also can not tell parents that a child needs medications. They CAN sugest that testing be done but they can not say that a kid NEEDS anything. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

She'd better consider herself lucky if all my nine year old did was suck in his cheeks.  He'd certainly say to her "umm I thought this was FREE TIME."  And actually  he does have an IEP so I guess in that instance an IEP meeting would be in order in her eyes. SMH.

For information please click the ribbon. 

I have something known as Nerofibromatosis. This illness causes tumors to grow within my body. I currently have brain tumors which affects my ability to function 100% normaly. My memory is poor as is my spelling and grammar abilities. It is a part of who my youngest is and a part of who I am. It is not all of ether of us.

My husbands best friends brother has a condition known as tuberous sclerosis. He was supposed to have died at a very young age. He is now close to 30 and still alive. He has had a few brain surgeries and has had to have his shunt replaced a few times. They run a program to help people with this condition. This ribbon will take you to their website where information on TS is located. 

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I think you should drop in on pe as much as you can, AND take it up with the principal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN