Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What Items Would You Say Are A Must Have For A Baby?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM
  • 72 Replies

It's been a while (7 years) since I have had a baby and we have a little man due in March.  Looking for what you ladies think are must haves for babies now adays.  I know it's only been 7 years but things have changed, even since then.  So, if you would do me a favor, please list items your think are must haves for a baby.  Including the very basic items.  My mind is drawing a blank (pregnancy brain).  LOL!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Boobs
Boppy
Blanket
Diapers
Wipes
Outfits

Those are honestly all I used the first few months.  If you aren't BFing, you'll need
Nipples
Formula
Bottles
Way to santize bottles
Water  (Tap isn't best for bottles, either boil and put away for later, or just use bottled water is what they suggest.)
Formula 

mommys2babies
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Swing
Bouncer
Boppy
Burp cloths
Diapers
Wipes
Carseat
Clothes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MountieMama
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM
If you plan to swaddle, then I suggest buying the zippered or velcroed swaddles. Like the zipper sack by summer or Halo's Sleep Sack Swaddle.

A bouncy/ vibrating chair is must when they stop sleeping all the time. You can set them in there on the counter or table while you cook, on the bathroom floor while you bath or shower.

A carrier or wrap or sling (I'm not one of those that is against strollers bit sometimes it's nice to have your hands free. I used a carrier daily for walks)

Other good to haves: a good swing (love my mamaroo), white noise machine, humidifier (depending where you live), play parc, baby bath
Obviously there are necessities like the 1st reply stated but these are "make life easier must haves"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany.dcd
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The wipe warmer was a must have for my son. He wwould scream like crazy if the wipes were cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry but I must comment on this. Such an item is wasteful and not environmentally appropriate. If your infant doesn't like the wipes cold they can be simply held in one's hand for  moment to warm them without the need to buy anything or use electricity. Our children need a healthy home planet more than they need electrically heated wipes! 

Quoting brittany.dcd:

The wipe warmer was a must have for my son. He wwould scream like crazy if the wipes were cold.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
7 moms liked this
O brother

Quoting GaleJ:

I'm sorry but I must comment on this. Such an item is wasteful and not environmentally appropriate. If your infant doesn't like the wipes cold they can be simply held in one's hand for  moment to warm them without the need to buy anything or use electricity. Our children need a healthy home planet more than they need electrically heated wipes! 

Quoting brittany.dcd:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I used a washcloth with warm water.  I never bought wipes.  How old school is that?

Quoting brittany.dcd:

AHmom103
by Alexis on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Diaper Genie, bouncer, swing, Boppy pillow, feeding supplies (pump if bf, formula, bottles, nipples, etc for ff), plenty of diapers (buy a couple different brands and sizes, in case baby is allergic to some), plenty of wipes (you can get hypoallergenic ones), diaper rash cream, clothes. Larger receiving blankets for swaddling, infant car seat (with an extra base if you have multiple vehicles), stroller or carrier (I used both, depending on how fussy baby was), cloth diapers (work great for burp cloths). That's pretty much everything I used for the first 6 months, aside from a few toys once they got big enough to play with them.

I'm a designer at the best siggy group on CM--click here to check it out!

Turkeysmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I agree!  I didn't post this post to get drama started over what's good for the environment and what's not.  Just looking for some help here.  Opinions are great, but the drama stuff not so much. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

O brother

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting brittany.dcd:

Jasminemomof3
by (Queen of Laughter) on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Clothes, bottles, diapers or cloths if your using cloths diapers :), blankets, carseat, burp clothes, bathtub, baby wash, humidifier, crib(of course) now since I seen wipes warmer, I didn't really need the wipes warmer, but I had my wipes in a ziplock bag and had them on top of the tv when my bf had the tv on, that kept the wipes warm lol :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)