Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

new but not...and I have a question

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

I used to be on this site as rocker_mommy08. Got bored with that name. So...yea...Im back. and I have a question.

I was recently diagnosed as having Bipolar I Disorder and a severe panic disorder w/ agoraphobia. I was wondering for the moms who are bipolar...or anyone who can help and not judge...Whats the likelyhood that one of my children will develop bipolar disorder? I have a 14m old daughter and an almost 5yr old son who has sensory issues

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
krista778
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Well my dad is bipolar and out of his 7 kids only one of us is bipolar. Don't know if those are the kind of odds you are comfortable with but seems pretty good to me :-)

Evansmommy1130
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom is bi-polar and none of her kids are (there's 3). Good luck mama!

LaughingTattoo
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be heriditary but its nothing you should worry about. Its manageable (this coming from someone who is bipolar and schizophrenic). Just keep an eye but dont be too over bearing and looking for "any" sign KWIM?

Arwyn724
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Bipolar is more likely to show up in a family with a history of it.  My mother suffered from depression, off and on, I've been mildly depressed in my life, and my oldest has Bipolar I.  She had rapid cycling and auditory hallucinations, along with extremely manic episodes.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

BUMP!

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Welcome back! It's more likely than in families without a history, but not a guarantee that they will have it, too.

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

waffa
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

welcome back!

do some research? APA is a good start...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)