Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Godparents

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 32 Replies
Okay so when my son was born i immediately knew i wanted my sister to be my sons Godmother, then she got divorced so we decided to have my bro in law to be his Godfather along with my sis cuz they were both single and we have a member from each family. But lately my sister has been so distant and she didn't even make it to her future Godson birthday...or even called, she hasn't visit him in almost a year now. And to top it off my bro in law is serious with this new girlfriend he has who no one in the family likes (that's a whole different story) i dont like her and I've voiced it several times and that has caused us to no longer have communication, he on the other hand did show up to my sons birthday party, 1:45 mins late, no present or even a hug to his future Godson..he always takes out his Nieces and nephews out to a movie or zoo on their birthdays except my son and his future Godson..im really questioning my choice...they havent baptized him yet would it be rude of me to communicate to them to step up? Or choose different Godparents?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennyCaps
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see the point in God parents so I'm no help. Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mizkriz73
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you should talk to them about what is going on, then decide. My hubby and went through the same thing with our middle son. We ended up choosen different people for godparents.
pangie23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
To be completely honest i dont either. We're Catholic and in order for anyone to get baptized they must have Godparents, i want my son to get baptized and get Gods blessing and i truly find it absurd that in order to do that i have to pick a couple to be his Godpatents. *no offense to anyone* this is just my opinion

Quoting JennyCaps:

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are religious, it's picking people to make sure they grow up in your religious belief if something happens to you.

OP- I would pick different ones. They might not even notice lol.

Quoting JennyCaps:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM
But I think it's silly that you NEED to have god parents. We are catholic and I still think that.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

If you are religious, it's picking people to make sure they grow up in your religious belief if something happens to you.

Quoting JennyCaps:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleSw
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

My sister is DDs godmother and I'm a godmother x3 -lol- 

pangie23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM
We're religious, we dont go to church every sunday but we are religious, we had a religious wedding and we want our kids to grow up with our beliefs and all and im desperate to get my son baptized already he's 4 and traditionally they get baptized by the time they're 1 or so but this issue has been the reason why we keep postponing it.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Quoting JennyCaps:

michiganmom5150
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM
We had some good friends who wanted me and my now ex to be their son's godparents, but we aren't catholic and although we are church attending Christians, they wouldn't allow it. So no advice here.
pangie23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
And yes its silly that if we want our children baptized we HAVE to have Godparents...
pangie23
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Its just silly how there's all these rules and all to get baptized and all there's a lot of things i really dont agree on like if they are god patents they either have to be married by Catholic church or completely single. IDK sometimes but yeah ugh what a dilemma

Quoting michiganmom5150:

We had some good friends who wanted me and my now ex to be their son's godparents, but we aren't catholic and although we are church attending Christians, they wouldn't allow it. So no advice here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)