Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Okay so when my son was born i immediately knew i wanted my sister to be my sons Godmother, then she got divorced so we decided to have my bro in law to be his Godfather along with my sis cuz they were both single and we have a member from each family. But lately my sister has been so distant and she didn't even make it to her future Godson birthday...or even called, she hasn't visit him in almost a year now. And to top it off my bro in law is serious with this new girlfriend he has who no one in the family likes (that's a whole different story) i dont like her and I've voiced it several times and that has caused us to no longer have communication, he on the other hand did show up to my sons birthday party, 1:45 mins late, no present or even a hug to his future Godson..he always takes out his Nieces and nephews out to a movie or zoo on their birthdays except my son and his future Godson..im really questioning my choice...they havent baptized him yet would it be rude of me to communicate to them to step up? Or choose different Godparents?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Replies (31-32):
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Can't they be both?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

You're thinking of guardians. They would be responsible for raising the kids if anything to OP and her DH.

Quoting jillbailey26:

You don't have to pick them again.  Also, look into a will.  Something that would state who gets your kids if something bad happens to you.  Make it a logical choice.  People who can provide for them, love them, and be responsible parents.

Quoting pangie23:

They were when my son was born but now they're both totally different ppl, my sister raised me and she was what i thought the most responsible person i knew and my mother figure and my bro inlaw was too a very responsible young man too and now they're so different

Quoting jillbailey26:

I'm pretty sure the purpose is to have someone for them to if something were to happen to you.  Pick someone in your life that is reliable and would be a good parent to your child in case they're needed.

Quoting pangie23:

To be completely honest i dont either. We're Catholic and in order for anyone to get baptized they must have Godparents, i want my son to get baptized and get Gods blessing and i truly find it absurd that in order to do that i have to pick a couple to be his Godpatents. *no offense to anyone* this is just my opinion

Quoting JennyCaps:

I don't see the point in God parents so I'm no help. Bump

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Yes if that's how it's set up. We are DH's cousin's daughter's Godparents and guardians. I am my oldest niece's Godmother, DH is my youngest niece's Godfather but we are not their guardians. DH's cousins are DS's Godparents but not guardians.

Being one doesn't automatically mean you're the other too.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Can't they be both?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

You're thinking of guardians. They would be responsible for raising the kids if anything to OP and her DH.

Quoting jillbailey26:

You don't have to pick them again.  Also, look into a will.  Something that would state who gets your kids if something bad happens to you.  Make it a logical choice.  People who can provide for them, love them, and be responsible parents.

Quoting pangie23:

They were when my son was born but now they're both totally different ppl, my sister raised me and she was what i thought the most responsible person i knew and my mother figure and my bro inlaw was too a very responsible young man too and now they're so different

Quoting jillbailey26:

I'm pretty sure the purpose is to have someone for them to if something were to happen to you.  Pick someone in your life that is reliable and would be a good parent to your child in case they're needed.

Quoting pangie23:

To be completely honest i dont either. We're Catholic and in order for anyone to get baptized they must have Godparents, i want my son to get baptized and get Gods blessing and i truly find it absurd that in order to do that i have to pick a couple to be his Godpatents. *no offense to anyone* this is just my opinion

Quoting JennyCaps:

I don't see the point in God parents so I'm no help. Bump

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)