Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

medicaid as secondary ins.

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

so i just got a job at a pediatric office. i had no idea you could have medicaid as a secondary ins.. we have chip for my kids but my cousin has bcbs and her daughter needs some medication the dr said her ins would not approve but medicaid would if she had that.. so my question is what are the criteria for having medicaid as secondary ins?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AMBG825
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly it's not much different than people who have 2 insurance policies. We have 2. One from my husband's employer, and one from mine. Hubby's is the primary and mine the secondary. Yours will work the same way.

Essentially, you will still have to qualify for medicaid. The CHIPS program, you might be able to keep but if you are above the income limit you will be charged for the program. So if you still keep the medicaid/CHIP program, what will happen is your private insurance will be the primary and the medicaid/CHIP will be the secondary. Each time you go to the doctor, they will bill your private insurance first. Whatever the private insurance doesn't cover, the bill then gets sent to medicaid/CHIP.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I did medical records billing and coding I know Medicaid can be secondary to Medicare,

Children with health issues especially those on SSI also usually had secondary insurance.  It varies state by state

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

i did for when i had my middle child

the hospital wanted 3000 before i delivered and there was no way in hell i could afford that

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I think all you would have to do is apply for it as a secondary insurance, but I'm really not sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)