Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

taking a trip after baby. need advice!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM
  • 23 Replies
Okay here's the situation. My grandma (my dads mom) has cancer. She was given 6 months to live nearly 10 years ago but in the past year she's gone downhill an they don't expect her to hang on much longer.. My dad wants me to fly out to California with him in January with my month old baby so she'll have a chance to meet her great granddaughter. My boyfriend is totally against me taking our child to California for a week being only a month old. He says that she'll be too young to take on a plane an that it's not fair for me to take his baby from him an leave him alone that long. My parents see no problem with this because they took me to California at only a month old an everything was fine. Only difference is they were both there!

Im not sure how i feel about the situation. On the one hand i agree with my boyfriend that she's a bit too young to travel that far an that the trip should be postponed until she's a little older. But on the other hand i would feel awful if we waited an grandma passed before she got to meet my daughter an the rest of the family met her for the first time at my grandmas funeral. I also think that my boyfriend should be able to come. He is the father of my child after all an it's important to me that he meets that side of the family but my parents disagree they think he should stay home an work but we work at the same place an if we were both gone for a week one of us if not both would get paid just so our boss doesn't have to tell his boss that we're gone (real professional i know!).

I just don't know how to go about this. I agree with both my boyfriend an dad but i don't know what to do! Im lost an confused about all this an i really don't wanna upset anybody but i feel like no matter what i do someone isn't going to be happy. Im more worried about my child then anything tho. Taking a newborn on a plane during flu season just doesn't sound like that great of an idea. Gaah!

What's your opinion? How would you handle the situation?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM
I have actually found a really young baby was easier to travel with than a 1 yr old. They sleep most of the time and are less fussy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I would travel with a month old baby if I had to. I don't see an issue. I flew with my 6 week old baby with no issue. However, the boyfriend should feel comfortable with it and the parents need to be understanding also. I like the idea of you both going with baby if you can afford no paycheck for a week.

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I traveled with my 6 week old on a plane in September of that year- she did well and I still probably would do it again, but it's not for everyone.  Take the information and make the best decision you can for your family- don't worry about upsetting people, that will happen no matter what- but if you are confident in your decision then stick to it!  Hang in there and I hope your grandmother starts feeling better!  

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

i think your boyfriend is being a selfish jerk

i think it will be okay to take your baby to meet your grandmother

if your boyfriend loved you he would say yes in a heartbeat. its not like you are leaving him

christina0607
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM

How far is it?

I would fly with a one month old...but I also would not hesitate to bring my SO. Do you live together?

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Babies that young do three things, eat, sleep, poop and pee, repeat... lol they are the easiest to travel with and honestly if he is going to miss any time of babies life, that's the best time, head is held up eyes are open smiling... it will be a blip on the radar and you can Skype daily and take pics to email so daddy doesn't feel left out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Hate to say it but it kinda sounds like the bf doesn't want to be alone and is more concerned for himself......

A member of your family may be DYING and he doesn't want to be left alone?  Ya after that statement his opinion would cease to matter IMO

ljpaszek
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I traveled with a 2 and a 1/2 month old. It really wasn't that bad. As long as your baby's doctor approves of it I don't see the problem. People like to try to touch babies which you can't let them do, airports and airplanes are germ cities so just take precautions. I traveled alone and kept my baby in a sling except actually on the airplane. On my return flight I had to pee SOOO bad there was not way I could have held it, or managed to take the baby in that tiny bathroom with me. The lady next to me was a grandmother, she sanitized her hands, assured me she was not sick and held my baby while I used the bathroom (a risk but we were up in the air where could she go with my child, plus gut instinct told me it was okay). Is your dad traveling with you? because to me that would be a big help too.
MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM
I think you should go whether your boyfriend goes or not. It's not like you are moving there. I also think that if he wants to go too then he should. No one should stop anyone in this situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM
What is your boyfriend that much of a whinner that he can't be alone... go. And let grandma meet her great grandchild.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)