Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

NO mom should have to go through this! :( :( it was terrible

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ayla (9yrs) had an MRI today, to find a reason for the neurological weakness on one half of her body. 

they had to put her under which shouldn't have been a big deal, she has been under general anesthesia before. 

but stupid mommy didnt take into consideration that at those times she had been on anxiety medication and this time she was not :( :( 

they put the mask on her and she full on meltdown panicked. me and 2 other nurses had to hold her down screaming while the doctor held her head carefully to hold the mask on.

I asked about other options but he said that at that point, with her anxiety level already that high, getting a needle to give her a shot, or trying to get the IV in, would be worse for her :( 

when we got there she was so calm and excited to be able to do the mask instead of the IV. 

I had to hold my screaming baby down, and watch the screams and struggles fade away and die out. :( it was so hard. 

but we are all done. and she woke up great. and has NO MEMORY of us holding her down. thank GOD. 

from now on, we know, no matter how well she seems to be doing, anxiety medication FIRST. and maybe even just skip the mask and try shot or IV next time. 

she kept telling us that she could feel how the mask smelled. which confused the hell out of me. 

the doctor said most likely because the medicine in the mask was heavy and thick. 

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM

OH and she came out of it just fine. no side effects, no problems. thankfully. i stopped at the gift shop and got her some presents 

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM

*hug* My mom had to hold me down once when I was 3 while I got stitches in my chin. I can't imagine how hard that would be. I'm glad everyone is okay!

I do remember those masks being funky, though... last time I was gassed for surgery I just remember it smelled like grape-scented markers. Not grapes. The actual markers. O_o Lol.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Glsd shes ok:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM
((Hugs))
I had to hold my youngest kiddo down for a cath and an IV when she was a few months old. It was awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3lighteningbugs
To this day and I am 31 I can clearly remember the smell of a face mask. Green cellophane is my trigger. It brings it back. Not the wrost thing in the world. But i remember! Glad she is okay after what you went through. Hope the MRI gives you answers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aguinn06
I had to hold my daughter down while she did allergy testing. She was crying and begging me to make them stop. It was awful I was n tears myself. I knew it was for the best but it doesnt make it easier.... Feel ur pain hun. My dd now has a fear of needles. She kicked the hell out of me and two nurses and her dr just for a lead test....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ack86
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM
We had to help hold our oldest DS down while he got an IV because they said they had to have him out while they did his stitches. He was 18 months at the time. Then I had to hold his head still when he had to get them taken out at his pedi's office. I hated having to do it both times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I am so glad i am not the only one here. I felt horrible. like i was a terrible mom for doing it to her :( i still do. but i am glad im not alone. im sorry for all of you as well. thank you for reading my venting 

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM
They make oral Versed that they use for my son. It works great and has great amnesia properties before he goes under.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2angels88
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM
My oldest son had to be held down to get stitches in his tongue, I was so upset the doctor stopped what he was doing, pulled $5.00 out of his pocket, gave it to me and told the nurse to take me to the cafeteria and asked my mom if she would be able to stay or did she need to go too. My mom stayed and my son had to have 7 stitches 3 on top of his tongue and 4 on the bottom. I felt like such a failure because my being upset scared him more than getting the stitches.

My youngest Dd had to be held down just a couple weeks ago (she got into a fight with a grocery cart and it busted her lip. It took everything in me not to cry, but then again, she is my 6th kid and I've been through much worse with 3 of my kids passing away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN