Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

NO mom should have to go through this! :( :( it was terrible

Ayla (9yrs) had an MRI today, to find a reason for the neurological weakness on one half of her body. 

they had to put her under which shouldn't have been a big deal, she has been under general anesthesia before. 

but stupid mommy didnt take into consideration that at those times she had been on anxiety medication and this time she was not :( :( 

they put the mask on her and she full on meltdown panicked. me and 2 other nurses had to hold her down screaming while the doctor held her head carefully to hold the mask on.

I asked about other options but he said that at that point, with her anxiety level already that high, getting a needle to give her a shot, or trying to get the IV in, would be worse for her :( 

when we got there she was so calm and excited to be able to do the mask instead of the IV. 

I had to hold my screaming baby down, and watch the screams and struggles fade away and die out. :( it was so hard. 

but we are all done. and she woke up great. and has NO MEMORY of us holding her down. thank GOD. 

from now on, we know, no matter how well she seems to be doing, anxiety medication FIRST. and maybe even just skip the mask and try shot or IV next time. 

she kept telling us that she could feel how the mask smelled. which confused the hell out of me. 

the doctor said most likely because the medicine in the mask was heavy and thick. 

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Replies (11-11):
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:47 AM
I've had to hold my now 5 year old down on 3 different occasions for stitches. It's not fun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN