Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

locking your child in the car accidentally?

Posted by   + Show Post
I can laugh about it now thanks to my reminder on my keys...When my son was about 4 months old, i went shopping and carried a big box back to my car and i had my son on his carseat in the stroller, i got to my car put my son in, turned on his toy (a mirror with soothing music and lights) closed the back door, folded his stroller placed it in the trunk, since it was a small car the box didn't fit so i was gonna put it in the front passenger seat but i saw a lady carrying her child trying to get in the car parked next to me so i quickly placed the box on the driver seat and set my keys on top unintentionally and accidentally closed the door enough to where i couldn't open it anymore and yes it was locked, all my doors were locked, no window open and my keys inside and my purse and my 4 month old...ling story short..i ended up calling the firefighters cuz my baby was getting fussy and crying luckily it was February so the weather wasnt hot or anything but trust me my first thought was to break a window...i felt horrible! Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
rowansmum
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I can't say that I have.  I tucked my keys into my pocket every time I wasn't in the car.  I've always worrkied about locking my keys in my car and dealing with the bill so its never happened before or after kids

angevil53
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM
My son locked me out of the house once with my keys inside. Very scary and very funny. He finally unlocked the door. He was two.
alwayskk
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

One time, I was cleaning the car out and I let my kids get in after me to wipe the seats down. Well, my son jumps right in and was acting silly so I closed the door and said, "Okay now, drive away!" The keys were in my hand.

Anyway, he started laughing and threw himself on the window, making faces at me. When he did that, he hit the button that locks all the doors.

Thankfully, my back passenger side window is broken so I can just roll it down and hop inside.

PurplePieguy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM

No, thankfully I have never locked any of my kids in the car. My keys and purse on the other hand...a billion times. 

carter210
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I always have this fear so I always put my keys on the top of car while I buckle in my boys. Plus my ODS is 6 so if it were to happen he's usually there to unlock the doors.
jyofray
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM
I had locked my youngest baby in the car when i stepped out to grab my mail. I hit the lock button and FREAKED. Luckily, someone called someone they knew to come unlock it for me. She was sound asleep. Never again!
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Yes but I was in my driveway. It was super hot out and luckily DH had left for work not long before so a neighbor called 911 and put a towel over the back window to block the sun and I called DH. He got there before the police. DS was staring at us (neighbors and I all gathered around the car) like WTH!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ack86
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Almost, but instead I locked me and dd out of the car after her doctor appointment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tecsabates
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I once locked my dd in the car at my So's parents. His dad was home and would've run 5 min up the street to get my spare from home.....prblem was - the spare was in my car also......... Thankfully he was able to use a hanger and pop the lock...

thatgirl70
by Carin on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I did, but it happened at home, my son was 3 or 4. We were about to leave to go somewhere and the steering wheel was locking up on me and wouldn't turn. I called DH at work to tell him what was going on, and love my man I do, but he was being thick and not listening to me, was acting like I wasn't turning the key properly or something and I got pissed and frustrated. Not thinking about it, I got out of the car and locked the doors, leaving the keys inside (I can't remember if I left them in the ignition or dropped them on the seat). I started freaking out, told DH I had locked him in the car and then called Roadside Assistance to get a locksmith. Totally screaming (not hatefully, just panicky) at this woman because I'm so freaked out (I do feel bad about that, really!) and at the same time I'm (and a neighbor boy) trying to yell at my boy through closed windows how to get himself out of his harness so he can get of his seat to unlock one of the doors. Finally he does (and it wasn't easy for him) and I was able to get him out (and didn't need a locksmith). It's funny, because he'll bring it up from time to time."Mama, remember the time you locked me in the car?" LOL.

If that ever happens again, I swear I'm gonna do my best not to yell at the RA person, LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)