Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

locking your child in the car accidentally?

Posted by   + Show Post
I can laugh about it now thanks to my reminder on my keys...When my son was about 4 months old, i went shopping and carried a big box back to my car and i had my son on his carseat in the stroller, i got to my car put my son in, turned on his toy (a mirror with soothing music and lights) closed the back door, folded his stroller placed it in the trunk, since it was a small car the box didn't fit so i was gonna put it in the front passenger seat but i saw a lady carrying her child trying to get in the car parked next to me so i quickly placed the box on the driver seat and set my keys on top unintentionally and accidentally closed the door enough to where i couldn't open it anymore and yes it was locked, all my doors were locked, no window open and my keys inside and my purse and my 4 month old...ling story short..i ended up calling the firefighters cuz my baby was getting fussy and crying luckily it was February so the weather wasnt hot or anything but trust me my first thought was to break a window...i felt horrible! Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Yes. I was at my house but we were in my moms car. We put the baby in and my mom turned the car on. She needed something from the trunk so she got out. We closed our doors at the same time and my moms dog hit the lock button. We had to call a cop too. But the car was on and my baby was sleeping. Still scary.
Bennett121
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I accidentally locked myself out of the car at McDonalds with my kids inside. I started freaking out at first, then I realized that Hey! My son is 4! He can unbuckle his seat belt and unlock the door! It took a little convincing and bribery to get him to unlock the door.  phew! That was a close one. lol.

TableforSeven
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

You gotta love it when kids are so careful to listen to our constant instructions NOT to do something....that when we need them to do it we have to beg and bribe them.  LOL.  My daughter was 2 when I locked her in the car and she -could-reach the lock on the door...but I had to beg her to do it (since we always told her to NEVER touch the lock).

Quoting Bennett121:

I accidentally locked myself out of the car at McDonalds with my kids inside. I started freaking out at first, then I realized that Hey! My son is 4! He can unbuckle his seat belt and unlock the door! It took a little convincing and bribery to get him to unlock the door.  phew! That was a close one. lol.

sherry132
by Sherry on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Yep I sure did. When my daughter was a tiny baby I was trying to handle everything I had and I laid the keys in the seat and shut the door. It was 70 outside and I did bust a window. My husband at the time was Furious with me!

Bennett121
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

hahaha. well, on this particular occassion, I ended up buying yet another shiny new truck for my son's massive collection. hahaha.

Quoting TableforSeven:

You gotta love it when kids are so careful to listen to our constant instructions NOT to do something....that when we need them to do it we have to beg and bribe them.  LOL.  My daughter was 2 when I locked her in the car and she -could-reach the lock on the door...but I had to beg her to do it (since we always told her to NEVER touch the lock).

Quoting Bennett121:

kansasmom1978
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I was delivering newspapers when ds was 6 months old. I got out to put a paper in a paper box and the door closed. Locking my ds in the car with it running. He was asleep. The home owner was not home. And I was 5 blocks from anyone else. I ran to the Juvenile detention center and called dh then ran back to car. I felt like crap. Not ony did i lock ds son in car but had to leave him to get help. 10 years later.............i should have just busted a window.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM

yup. we went grocery shopping. put the baby in the car, dropped my purse in and started the car (it was winter), and closed the door and helped my SO (at the time) load the groceries. When I went to get in...the door wouldn't open. I looked up and he couldn't open his door and then I started crying hysterically. A few minutes later the fire chief came and unlocked it for us.

Karenjm
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Never happened to me, but I can see how it could.  When my friend at work's daughter was 2 years old, the kid slammed the front door of their house as soon as my friend was about to walk in and it was locked from the inside.  My friend frantically ran around and ended up breaking the window.  She said she had never had so much fear in her :-)  It happens to the best.

mich.el.le
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I've never locked my child(ren) in the car but I did lock myself out of my house a couple weeks ago with the kids inside.  I had my neighbor help me break in. lol  

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

icantshowmyface
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM
I locked my keys in the car while the car was still running. I was putting my son in the car and putting away groceries, had the AC cooling off the car and had him strapped in. Idk what happened but I locked the keys in and have the car running. I had to call a locksmith person while waiting by the car
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)