Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Adopting a family for Christmas?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
How do u do it? What organization or site do you go thru? I want to buy Christmas gifts for a small family in need- but I want it to go directly to them (ie no middleman).
We had a bad (not terrible, but just not how I want to do it) experience with the shelter we usually do it thru this year so I really want to find a family to help directly. I've been looking thru the wish upon a hero site but there are so many people in need, it gets overwhelming.
If you sponsor a family, how do u go about it? If you've done it thru sites like wish upon a hero or here on cafemom- how do u choose who to help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiliMama18
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Our small group at church did it through a local school.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

LiliMama18
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiliMama18
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

BUMP!

LaughingTattoo
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Go to Wishuponahero.......there are so many needy people on there who arent getting help anywhere else

Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Here the Salvation Army does it.  I am dropping off the paperwork for my sorority to adopt a family tomorrow.  Here they said they will let us specify family size if needed and where in the county they actually live.  

DHS does Thanksgiving families here and The Salvation Army does Christmas.  

We have to buy everything and wrap it. then we call the family to check with the parents when the best time to drop things off is.  Sometimes the family will open the gifts while they are there and other times they save them for Christmas.  We always make sure the family wants gifts wrapped and ask if they want any to be from Santa.

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

My SIL usually does this. I think she goes through the salvation army. DS's school is also doing it for families in need at the school.

pce68
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

You could check with the local DFACS office. They might be able to give you a name of a family that needs help. Or call a local church and tell them you would like to help a family.

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I do it on here but I know next year I will be going to my sons school and just telling them I would like to adopt a needy family in the school district. Sadly there are usally quite a few!

weirdkids
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

there are a few ladies over in mom confessions that would probably apreciate the help and many others that would know where to go for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)