Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my 2 year old was denied help

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today was very heartbreaking, I get a call from my sister telling me that my son is really sick and needs to go to urgent care. i told her that I will meet her there at (dean clinic) urgent care. My son has been sick since September mind you and has not been eating or sleeping much and has lost weight. I am always taking him in and they tell me its normal for a two year old to be sick. (fine) my child threw up in the urgent care room and the dr even told me that from his chart he needs to be seen and admitted to the hospital for fluids and tests. So I say ok let's do that so we can get to the bottom of this. She goes to call the hospital to admit him when she comes back to tell me they can't since he has no insurance. WHAT!! Im so angry this its come down to this. The dr told me they won't treat him since he has no insurance.... My two year old who is sick.... Really???? Have you ever been denied care due to no insurance? How would you react?

Edit***

Ok, First off I had State help for my son since I did not have health insurance through my job yet, my husbands job didn't offer insurance. I Paid BadgerCare which is the state insurance until they CUT my son off for my husband getting a raise and is making more money. I put my son on my insurance as soon as open enrollment came up. My son had been seen in September ( had insurance) My son was seen October ( had insurance) Today ( no Insurance because of the reason above) * note this is what Badger care told me when I called* I am a very Responsible Parent and I am Pre Law. I am just reaching out to others to find out how Common this is. One I don't think that is polite to Bash a young Mother for seeking help, Also I think its Wrong for someone to state how Irresponsible a mother is when they dont even know them. How rude is it to bash someone for seeking help. I DID go to a ER and they Treated him and IS still Treating HIM. IT is illegal to turn away a young child no matter how the parent is going to pay. Again I am Asking how often does this happen. ENOUGH BASHING!!

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2annaliese
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not legally allowed at ERs. Take him to the ER. Private clinics can do what they want but not te emergency room. Google it. It isn't here, Florida or Anywhere I've ever lived. Google your state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM
I think if it is a privately owned hospital they have a right to deny admittance.
Aren't there programs for children that are state funded that provide insurance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

as long as it is not life threatening they can deny him care

they stabilize you then send you on your merry way unfortuantely

mommy5912
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Take him to the ER, because they can;t deny you!! However you as a parent are irresponsible for not having insurance on your child!!!!

MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM
In my state, all children automatically get PA if they don't have insurance.
msmom29
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Take him to the ER they cant refuse you because you dont have insurance.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Take him to a county hospital, they cannot deny him care including hospitalization. Good luck!

Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

There is a sign in the local ER that says if you are clearly experiencing an emergency or are in labor they can't deny treatment.  

kaylasmom22
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Hospitals are not allowed to denied him care no matter what.
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

exactly her son isnt experiencing a life threatening emergency which is why they wont admit him

Quoting Firenygirl180:

There is a sign in the local ER that says if you are clearly experiencing an emergency or are in labor they can't deny treatment.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN