Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I'm about to be offered a full time position at my store managing the stockroom. My husband is unemployed right now and looking for a job, but I don't want to take this job if all it's going to do is pay for daycare while we're both working. I'm not supposed to know about this offer or any of the events about to happen that are making this job available, so I can't really ask about it. So what kind of salary wuld you expect for a position like that? *Update* He ended up offering me a choice between the stockrooom and a lower management position. I took the latter. It's about a dollar more than what I'm making now and still part time, but it comes with opportunities for advancement, which the stockrom job didn't have. I was also offered a job as Children's Pastor at our church starting in March, and my husband got a job. So our biggest issue now is finding affordable childcare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:45 AM
Well first of all u said your dh is unemployed so currently he can be home with the kids so take the job! Second idk what that position pays but at the moment it's Ritter than nothing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:57 AM
Clearly. My concern is if he gets a full time job before I'm offered this position. The job he applied for yesterday is supposed to be a sure thing, and it's better than anything I could make. But I'm not sure this job would be worth it for us to have three kids in daycare. If I stay at part time, I can work my schedule around his. But no matter how good this concrete job may be, the goal is still to get him back in school, which he can't do while working a job like that. I think if i can negotiate 30K, less money in the short term is both healthier for our family dynamic and more likely to help us reach our long term goals. But his mother will kill him if he turns this job down without a VERY solid and logical reasoning. So I'm trying to work it out before he gets a job offer.

Quoting Fields456:

Well first of all u said your dh is unemployed so currently he can be home with the kids so take the job! Second idk what that position pays but at the moment it's Ritter than nothing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM
And, you know, it's what's on my mind at 2am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Well if he gets his job first calculate what your expenses would be if u worked ( child care, gas to and from etc) once u get that figure add too what your time is worth and that is your figure If the job doesn't meet that and y'all can survive with u being a sahm then don't take it. If it is worth it take it and if u get your job before your dh gets his take it, y'all can figure things out after if he gets the job

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Clearly. My concern is if he gets a full time job before I'm offered this position. The job he applied for yesterday is supposed to be a sure thing, and it's better than anything I could make. But I'm not sure this job would be worth it for us to have three kids in daycare. If I stay at part time, I can work my schedule around his. But no matter how good this concrete job may be, the goal is still to get him back in school, which he can't do while working a job like that. I think if i can negotiate 30K, less money in the short term is both healthier for our family dynamic and more likely to help us reach our long term goals. But his mother will kill him if he turns this job down without a VERY solid and logical reasoning. So I'm trying to work it out before he gets a job offer.

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:18 AM
Right. Except if he takes this job and I have to turn my offer down, then he doesn't get to go back to school and I'm stuck either as a sahm or working part time with very little opportunity for getting a full time job and sending him back to school. If he turns his offer down and I'm not getting 30K or close to it, then we're back to square one with not making enough to make ends meet and him still looking for a full time job and not beong able to figure out school or child care around that. Which is why i made this post asking what you guys thought I might be able to expect. I think if he gets an offer first, I'm going to sit down with my boss and explain what my dilemma is and just hope I don't get my Ast manager in trouble for telling me what is going on.

Quoting Fields456:

Well if he gets his job first calculate what your expenses would be if u worked ( child care, gas to and from etc) once u get that figure add too what your time is worth and that is your figure If the job doesn't meet that and y'all can survive with u being a sahm then don't take it. If it is worth it take it and if u get your job before your dh gets his take it, y'all can figure things out after if he gets the job

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Well walk into that interview expecting what u feel u should make ( I have no idea for it ) and if u feel it is worth it take it if u don't dont take it. No one knows what your situation needs more than u do good luck

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Right. Except if he takes this job and I have to turn my offer down, then he doesn't get to go back to school and I'm stuck either as a sahm or working part time with very little opportunity for getting a full time job and sending him back to school. If he turns his offer down and I'm not getting 30K or close to it, then we're back to square one with not making enough to make ends meet and him still looking for a full time job and not beong able to figure out school or child care around that. Which is why i made this post asking what you guys thought I might be able to expect. I think if he gets an offer first, I'm going to sit down with my boss and explain what my dilemma is and just hope I don't get my Ast manager in trouble for telling me what is going on.

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:27 AM
Thanks. I know I'm overthinking all of this. It's just that we've been struggling for s long and this feels like our one opportunity to get out of this hole. I don't want to screw it up. Another option would be for him to work this job for a couple of months and then quit when I go full time.

Quoting Fields456:

Well walk into that interview expecting what u feel u should make ( I have no idea for it ) and if u feel it is worth it take it if u don't dont take it. No one knows what your situation needs more than u do good luck

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Good luck. And if they ask u what u want to get paid , in your interview , don't under pay yourself but don't over pay yourself ( I know it sound weird but it can hurt you ). Go into it knowing what u need to be paid plus what u think u should be paid based on your experience

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Thanks. I know I'm overthinking all of this. It's just that we've been struggling for s long and this feels like our one opportunity to get out of this hole. I don't want to screw it up. Another option would be for him to work this job for a couple of months and then quit when I go full time.

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Unfortunately, if you're making $8 now, it would be highly unlikely you would make a jump up to $14. I would be very shocked if they offerred you even $9.

Whatever they offer you, make a counter offer before accepting anything. If they offer you $9 tell them you want $11. See if they'll offer a little more. I promise they won't hold it against you. Employers EXPECT you to ask for more money.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Right at $8 per hour as a part time associate.

Quoting frndlyfn:

WOW so my 14 was just a little bit off?   What are you being paid now for where you work?

Justine1123
by Justine on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:32 AM
Are you making anywhere near that now? What is minimum wage where you live?

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Our expenses in order to get off of assistance, not counting health insurance, total conservatively 30K per year. PP posted an expectation of $14 per hour, which is just over 29K per year. If I could get that, then DH could find a pt job and go back to school, which is the goal right now.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I would calculate what I'd need to make to cover current household expenses and childcare, add % tac bracket you're in and divide that by hours worked.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)