Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I'm about to be offered a full time position at my store managing the stockroom. My husband is unemployed right now and looking for a job, but I don't want to take this job if all it's going to do is pay for daycare while we're both working. I'm not supposed to know about this offer or any of the events about to happen that are making this job available, so I can't really ask about it. So what kind of salary wuld you expect for a position like that? *Update* He ended up offering me a choice between the stockrooom and a lower management position. I took the latter. It's about a dollar more than what I'm making now and still part time, but it comes with opportunities for advancement, which the stockrom job didn't have. I was also offered a job as Children's Pastor at our church starting in March, and my husband got a job. So our biggest issue now is finding affordable childcare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM
I'm going from $8 per hour as a part time associate to a full time salaried position. I've also been working for this company for six of the last eight years (2004-2008 and the started again in early 2011). $9 is less per hour than I was offered at another company a few weeks ago, so that's nowhere near an option. I think the least I could accept is probably 25K.

Quoting AMBG825:

Unfortunately, if you're making $8 now, it would be highly unlikely you would make a jump up to $14. I would be very shocked if they offerred you even $9.

Whatever they offer you, make a counter offer before accepting anything. If they offer you $9 tell them you want $11. See if they'll offer a little more. I promise they won't hold it against you. Employers EXPECT you to ask for more money.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Right at $8 per hour as a part time associate.

Quoting frndlyfn:

WOW so my 14 was just a little bit off?   What are you being paid now for where you work?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM
No, but as I said this is going from a part time sales associate to a full time shipping/recieving associate. I know the job is salaried and has benefits, but i don't know how much. And minimum wage is the federal minimum. our state doesn't have a higher one.

Quoting Justine1123:

Are you making anywhere near that now? What is minimum wage where you live?

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Our expenses in order to get off of assistance, not counting health insurance, total conservatively 30K per year. PP posted an expectation of $14 per hour, which is just over 29K per year. If I could get that, then DH could find a pt job and go back to school, which is the goal right now.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I would calculate what I'd need to make to cover current household expenses and childcare, add % tac bracket you're in and divide that by hours worked.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Tell them you want 27.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

I'm going from $8 per hour as a part time associate to a full time salaried position. I've also been working for this company for six of the last eight years (2004-2008 and the started again in early 2011). $9 is less per hour than I was offered at another company a few weeks ago, so that's nowhere near an option. I think the least I could accept is probably 25K.

Quoting AMBG825:

Unfortunately, if you're making $8 now, it would be highly unlikely you would make a jump up to $14. I would be very shocked if they offerred you even $9.

Whatever they offer you, make a counter offer before accepting anything. If they offer you $9 tell them you want $11. See if they'll offer a little more. I promise they won't hold it against you. Employers EXPECT you to ask for more money.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Right at $8 per hour as a part time associate.

Quoting frndlyfn:

WOW so my 14 was just a little bit off?   What are you being paid now for where you work?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ilaynasmommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM
So will you be hourly or salaried?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ilaynasmommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM
How many hrs does that position work? I dont think there is a minimum wage for salary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM
It's full time, so 40hrs a week (my shift would be 8-4 m-f). And there's not a minimum wage for salary. I'm just trying to figure a ballpark estimate of what people think that job might be worth so I can have some idea.

Quoting Ilaynasmommy:

How many hrs does that position work? I dont think there is a minimum wage for salary.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

My stockroom manager made right around $30K in texas.

Ilaynasmommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM
It depends on your state and the cost of living. If you make 8 now I doubt youd go past 8.50 or 9. I am salaried. 637 a wk approx 60 hrs a wk I was working 72 a wk. My part timers make 7.25 a wk min wage. My assistants make 8. 7.60 starting out. Promoting to full time isnt about the pay increase. Its more the guarantee of full time hrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ilaynasmommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM
What company do you work for? Different companies also have different pay grades based on their sales and expenses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I work for a Christian retail chain. They generally have a lot of turnover in part time employees and so don't usually pay wonderfully (I started at $7.15 in 2004 and have gotten a 15 cent raise every year that I've worked). But they have been known to treat their full time and corporate employees pretty well. But no one is really in the habit of discussing their pay, so I'm not sure what to expect. The person who last held this position died very unexpectedly, and none of the other stores where i worked had a full time person receiving.

Quoting Ilaynasmommy:

What company do you work for? Different companies also have different pay grades based on their sales and expenses.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN