Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If You Have Indoor Dogs...

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM
  • 146 Replies

How often do you take your dogs outside to do their business?  On average, how many times a day?

Here's the story behind why I ask..

MIL has 3 little dogs.  She stays up half the night, playing on the computer and usually doesn't lay down until maybe 2-3.  She wakes around noon-1 and takes the dogs out for a couple of minutes.  She stays in all day, unless she has to go somewhere, makes herself dinner around 6, feeds the dogs and takes them out again for a few minutes.  Around 11 or so, she goes in her room and calls for them to join her around midnight and shuts the door.  During the day, the downstairs is their bathroom.  Her room stinks of all the pee they leave all night and they have "spots" around the living room and kitchen where they go.  One dog always poops in the same spot and she leaves it there until it dries up, so it's "easier to pick up."  She screams at them for doing it inside and DH said "Maybe if you took them out more than twice a day, they wouldn't use your house as a bathroom."  She looked at DH and said that twice is enough.

Your thoughts? 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegansmom
by Cyndi on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Ewwww! My dog goes by the door when she wants out. I let her out whenever she's by the door. Lately she holds it all day til dh gets home. She won't go outside for me. She doesn't have accidents so I don't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I have indoor dogs, but we have about a large fenced yard two. I let them out like four times a day. If it is nice, in the afternoon they stay out there for an hour or two.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:25 AM
My dog will go to the door when he needs outside, and jiggle the door knob with his nose, lol. We go out every 4 hours during the day, and I walk him if he whines at night (not often).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
I take mine out every 2-4 hours
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:31 AM
My dog (a boxer) goes roughly every three hours. If she had to go more she'd let us know by jiggling her leash (which hangs by the door). She can hold it if we're both at work or out for the day - she's never had an accident inside. The longest she goes is when we're sleeping and that's from 9 or 10 pm until 4:30 or 5 am when DH wakes up. Each time we take her we walk a couple blocks; during the day I'll grab a toy and we'll play fetch for a half hour at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Mine will play the in and out game with me and get me pissed off! lol

They go out when we get up, again after they eat breakfast. At least four or five times during the day. then after they eat supper. So I would say at least 7 or 8 times they go out. I think its just to be nosy and see whats going on! lol

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Ewww...is right!  

When she told DH that twice is enough, he looked at her and said "so, you only go to the bathroom twice a day?"  She said it was different with dogs.  She is a lovely know it all that knows nothing.  He told her she needs to try using the bathroom twice a day and maybe she'd get off her ass and take them out more.

Quoting raegansmom:

Ewwww! My dog goes by the door when she wants out. I let her out whenever she's by the door. Lately she holds it all day til dh gets home. She won't go outside for me. She doesn't have accidents so I don't care.

krissy920
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM

our dog is still a puppy but i take her out every hour at least untill she can go stand at the door to let me know, and  id probably still take her out every  hour  just to make sure.

kzuehlk
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM
That's pretty gross!

We have 5 dogs. Usually when one wants out, they all do. I let them out at 5am before I leave for work and then SO just lets them out whenever they go to the door during the day. They go out once more before bed time, which is usually midnight or later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kzuehlk
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Mine do that too! Our fence bumps right up against the neighbor's and whenever they hear his dog out there, they want out too..even if they were just out 5 minutes ago

Quoting momdoes:

Mine will play the in and out game with me and get me pissed off! lol

They go out when we get up, again after they eat breakfast. At least four or five times during the day. then after they eat supper. So I would say at least 7 or 8 times they go out. I think its just to be nosy and see whats going on! lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN