Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should US women be allowed to buy birth control over the counter?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: Should US women be allowed to buy birth control over the counter?

Options:

Yes. It will cut down on unplanned pregnancies.

No. There are too many potential health risks.

Maybe. It depends on how it is regulated.

Not sure

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 100

View Results

Doctors back over-the-counter birth control pills

Some OB/GYNs are open to making the pills more accessible but it would need the government's OK before proceeding.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM
I think yes but with a pharmacy consult. You should he able to pick up your birth control at the pharmacy (like the good cold medicine they keep back there) without a prescription but you can only buy so much in a month and a pharmacist would do a quick consult to make sure your choice doesn't have contraindications with other medications you are taking or health conditions you have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:25 AM
If they can't take the time to buy condoms at the store I doubt they will take the time to refill birth control pills.

I couldn't careless if they sold them over the counter. Who's it going to hurt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SOCO101
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Hell yea! I think it'd be great! If you can get the plan b, I don't see why you can't get the pills. 

CafeMom Tickers
MyahsMom
by Heather on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:35 AM
I can't decide. On one hand I think having readily accessible birth control would be great and cut down immensely on unplanned pregnancies. However, I would worry that the STD rate would go up and many women would stop going in for necessary pap exams and miss out on the potentially life-saving screenings for cancer and other diseases.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuzyMommy35
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Yes however the prices would go up. It would basically become an OTC medication and most insurances don't cover things that are OTC
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slransde
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a prescription should still be required...there are so many different types and strengths..at least at first fill...but then the prescription could just not expire
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I think it has too many health risks. I think it should be much more accessible but OTC is not the answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinBright
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I don't think so.  There are too many risks regarding strokes and blood clots; being under the care of a doctor makes more sense. 

K_D88
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yes, I do think that women have the right to access birth control at a convience.  Men can go in and pick up a box of condoms. Why shouldn't women have the same convience of being able to walk into a pharmacy and pick up a pack of birth control pills if they want?

mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Hell, yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)