15 Wacky Things We've Found Packed in Kid's Suitcases
15 Wacky Things We've Found Packed in Kids' Suitcases
Have you ever opened up a bag your child packed for a trip and thought, "Why is she taking a hammer to the mall?" I have. Because a kid's idea of what's necessary and a parent's idea are about as far apart as Republicans and Democrats on the morning after election day.
Let's face it: our kids are weird! And we love them for it, we really do. But as blogger Southern Yankee Mix reminded us when she revealed her 6-year-old's bizarre packing list (anyone else see the need to bring a lantern and "2 pritty ponys" to Granny's house?), you really realize what's important to your kids when you take a look inside their overnight bag!
Think your kid has packed the craziest bag? Just wait until you hear what other children take along for the ride!
The Stir asked parents and a few aunties to weigh in on the weirdest packing jobs they've seen, and we've got some doozies for you:
More from The Stir: 10 Funny Mom Confessions About Vacationing With Kids
1. Rocks. Always rocks. Sometimes gravel.
2. Toys from a fast food chain to play with in the car ... as if we aren't stopping to get fast food on a 10-hour drive?
3. A friend of mine was going camping with her husband and three small kids. She put her hubby in charge of packing the kids' bags. He, in turn, told the kids to pack their own bags. Her 3-year-old daughter packed a bag of her favorite stuffed animals, but no clothes!
4. My son packs his underwear drawer!
5. It's what they don't pack. Once had my 8-year-old pack with a list. It wasn't until we got to our island destination did I realize that socks, pants, and UNDERWEAR were optional. UGH!
6. My daughter packs a separate suitcase for her doll. With an outfit for every outing!
7. LEGOS. Inevitably they break, pieces get lost, child cries massive tears, and parents resolve to make sure they oversee the packing process much more closely next time.
8. My 9-year-old takes a queen sized comforter. Blue and white checks on one side, blue flowers on the other. Did I mention he is a boy and it is falling apart. I keep sewing the stuffing back in. But, he takes it everywhere ... except bed. Because he sometimes is known to wet the bed and his logic is he doesn't want to get it wet!
9. Random small toys. And never anything useful like clothing. Fifteen books.
10. My son had to bring his Dad's chapstick on our last trip to visit my Dad. He liked to keep it in his pocket and smell it (and maybe taste it) every once in a while. I think it reminded him of Tim since he didn't come with us.
11. We brought an inflatable mermaid (about two feet tall) with us last year on one of our vacations.
12. My 6-year-old has this big purse she always walks around with, and it's full of small paper I cut for her and crayons and colored pencils. She won't leave the house with out that.
13. My son likes to bring his tools everywhere! I guess you never know when you will need to fix something.
14. My niece came to my house with a whole bucket of pretzels!
15. Not crazy, but she has to have her pillow pet with her, even when she goes to visit a friend overnight. (And she's 15).
All right, I know someone can top these! What is the craziest thing your child has packed for a trip?