Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't forget to exercise while I'm at school...

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM
  • 4 Replies
Cause you're kind of fat.

That's what my 8 yr old dd said to me the other day. :(. I can't tell her she is wrong, I am fat. I've been trying hard to loose weight but it just won't budge. I'm counting my calories, fat, carbs, and I do yoga and Pilates but its just not going anywhere. I asked her what made her think of that and she said her grandparents mentioned that I should " do more than send them ( the kids) outside and take a nap." I do send them out to play when I'm cooking dinner or helping someone with homework. I do NOT just take a nap when they are out! That hurt. I didn't like hearing dd call me fat but I can't fault her observation. I only told her that its not polite to point that out to people. But why would her grandparents bad mouth me in front of her. That's just too far. I can't control what they think but I am angry they said something to my child. What would you do in this situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I would talk to the adults who are bad mouthing you.   The 8 yr old should know that you are cooking, not sleeping since she sees you in the kitchen.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM
"fat" is a pejorative term, overweight is a factual description.

There's nothing wrong with being overweight. Is it better not to be? Of course! But to imply that it makes you undesirable as a person is just wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm overweight and I know how hard it is to get to a healthy weight, but it's not like quitting a habit. It takes so much time to do healthily. It's the rush to go from overweight to not that drives kids to bulemia, anorexia and diet pills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM
I talked to her about that. She knows I don't just sit around but for some reason she thought if her grandparents said all I do is nap and sit around, then it's true. I am constantly on my feet. The only time I sit is when I'm folding laundry, feeding my 9 month old or going to the bathroom!

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would talk to the adults who are bad mouthing you.   The 8 yr old should know that you are cooking, not sleeping since she sees you in the kitchen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM
That's true. I've been overweight since having my oldest. I have always struggled with my self image and even when I didn't have too much body fat I felt like I did. I am really careful to cook healthy foods and stress the importance of eating lots of healthy veggies and a balanced diet so 'your body can work well and you can do well in school'. I run around with the kids and play, work out and never talk about being 'too fat' or needing to loose weight. My mom obsessed about this stuff and had mirrors in every room so she could see right away if she was ' getting fat'. I don't want my kids to struggle with their self image like I always have.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

"fat" is a pejorative term, overweight is a factual description.

There's nothing wrong with being overweight. Is it better not to be? Of course! But to imply that it makes you undesirable as a person is just wrong.

Maybe it's because I'm overweight and I know how hard it is to get to a healthy weight, but it's not like quitting a habit. It takes so much time to do healthily. It's the rush to go from overweight to not that drives kids to bulemia, anorexia and diet pills.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN