Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What Is your meaning of 'Playdate'

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
  • 25 Replies

I would like your inputs from y'all.... I am wondering what is your understanding of the meaning 'playdate.'  I made a plan to have my friends and their children to come over tonight and let the kids play while the moms hang out. When I was growing up and my mom use the word of playdate when we are going over the house and my mom stayed to hang out with her friends while we played.  Can y'all explain your point of view of playdate.  I will fill in why I asked. 

Thanks for the inputs

UPDATE:  Here's the story:  I made a playdate for today a few days ago because there's no school the next day and my fiance work tonight... We haven't seen each other for a few weeks or let alone chat for a while.  One of the mom is SHM and one is working they both told me they were coming and everything. AWESOME!  the SHM double check the time,and I said any time around 4 30 or after.  She text me at 3 40 and asked me to watch the kids at 3 50 cuz she had an appointment at 4 and I told her I couldn't I made plan for the playdate at 4 30 or after... She showed up at 3 50 acting like she didn't get the text. So I wanted some input and see what y'all say. =)

Update 2:  I told her how I felt and etc, and she not happy with me and she trying to blame it on my fiance saying he doesn't like to be around kids....

UPDATE 3:  I know it much later, but now that I actually have time to sit down and do this, ha.... This lady who tried to drop her kids off and take off, she and I are no longer friends, by her choice!  I'm actually thankful that I don't have to deal with her anymore.  I felt like i was in a position where I couldn't say anything to her or her husband. I honestly think she was using me to cover up her affairs.  

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet.daydream
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the same idea in mind. Moms hang out while LOs play
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
When my kids were 1st grade and under I did stay, however now that they are 8 7 and 12 I'm no longer staying.

I do think most of the time play dates are more for the moms to have an excuse to get together with other moms and find new friends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM

That is pretty much it since dd doesnt get left somewhere without us aside from with her brothers and nephew.  On occasion her nephew calls for her to come over and the adults will watch them so my guy and i can go to a nice lunch or something.  When it is with friends from school, the parents all hang out as well while the children are playing.

Moogie1005
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Your definition is the same as mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here. Kids play moms hang out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If their little or I don't know the parents I would stay. But once older or with someone I know I don't stay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM

when kids play. 

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

if the kids are little, mom stays.  If they're older, mom comes back in a couple hours.

Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I would say under 5 the parents should stay.  After that it would be up to the host and parents involved.  

If you invite a group of moms(or dads) and their children over then the parents should stay unless a previous agreement has been made.  If a mom had an appointment and was going to drop her kid off for an hour and then come back and hang out I would probably be okay with that as long as I knew beforehand.  DS is still in diapers so most of the kids he'd play with are also in diapers. I'd be very mad if a parent dropped off their kid and left me to take care of them for the duration of the playdate.  

imuney
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Same as what you said

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN