Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What Is your meaning of 'Playdate'

Posted by   + Show Post

I would like your inputs from y'all.... I am wondering what is your understanding of the meaning 'playdate.'  I made a plan to have my friends and their children to come over tonight and let the kids play while the moms hang out. When I was growing up and my mom use the word of playdate when we are going over the house and my mom stayed to hang out with her friends while we played.  Can y'all explain your point of view of playdate.  I will fill in why I asked. 

Thanks for the inputs

UPDATE:  Here's the story:  I made a playdate for today a few days ago because there's no school the next day and my fiance work tonight... We haven't seen each other for a few weeks or let alone chat for a while.  One of the mom is SHM and one is working they both told me they were coming and everything. AWESOME!  the SHM double check the time,and I said any time around 4 30 or after.  She text me at 3 40 and asked me to watch the kids at 3 50 cuz she had an appointment at 4 and I told her I couldn't I made plan for the playdate at 4 30 or after... She showed up at 3 50 acting like she didn't get the text. So I wanted some input and see what y'all say. =)

Update 2:  I told her how I felt and etc, and she not happy with me and she trying to blame it on my fiance saying he doesn't like to be around kids....

UPDATE 3:  I know it much later, but now that I actually have time to sit down and do this, ha.... This lady who tried to drop her kids off and take off, she and I are no longer friends, by her choice!  I'm actually thankful that I don't have to deal with her anymore.  I felt like i was in a position where I couldn't say anything to her or her husband. I honestly think she was using me to cover up her affairs.  

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
waffa
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM
never had/done a playdate. my kids hung out with my friends and their kids if they had any.
TableforSeven
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Play dates are for kids.  Once my kids were old enough to be at someone's house alone (and, obviously, only after I knew and trusted the adults in the household) - my kids would stay and I would leave.  If we invited kids to our house....again once old enough and if the parents knew us...I expected the child to be the only one staying.

in your case....where you gave them a time to arrive and the mom just brought her child early....I would be annoyed.  But, if this woman is your friend, I would ask her if everything was ok and assume that if she had such an important appointment that maybe she is having a problem and needs some help and needs her child to be somewhere else for a bit.

sarah824
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the age of the kids and the situation with the moms. I have had playdates/playgroups where a few moms bring their kids and they all hang out while the kids play. I have also had playdates where it is expected that one child (or several) will be dropped off at another child's house to play for a designated amount of time. Sounds like this mom was planning on letting her kids play with your's while she went and did something else.

Due9
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Mom's hanging out while kids play. That's what I always thought, but it was brought to my attention recently that dad's also come to playdates, depending on the group of women and if it's the 'norm'. 

creneep83
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I would have done the same thing if i was living in the same town, as a matter of fact I did when I was living at my hometown before I had to move for a job reason.

Quoting waffa:

never had/done a playdate. my kids hung out with my friends and their kids if they had any.

creneep83
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM

BUMP!

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I guess I don't really call it a playdate, I call it going to visit friends, us visiting and having fun while the kids play together.

KMAsMommy9182
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

A playdate is an excuse for adults to hang out while the children played...otherwise it would be babysitting. 

Momyplease
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
to me is just that the kids playing together. moms watching them or talk. what else could it be
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
creneep83
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN