Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What Is your meaning of 'Playdate'

Posted by   + Show Post

I would like your inputs from y'all.... I am wondering what is your understanding of the meaning 'playdate.'  I made a plan to have my friends and their children to come over tonight and let the kids play while the moms hang out. When I was growing up and my mom use the word of playdate when we are going over the house and my mom stayed to hang out with her friends while we played.  Can y'all explain your point of view of playdate.  I will fill in why I asked. 

Thanks for the inputs

UPDATE:  Here's the story:  I made a playdate for today a few days ago because there's no school the next day and my fiance work tonight... We haven't seen each other for a few weeks or let alone chat for a while.  One of the mom is SHM and one is working they both told me they were coming and everything. AWESOME!  the SHM double check the time,and I said any time around 4 30 or after.  She text me at 3 40 and asked me to watch the kids at 3 50 cuz she had an appointment at 4 and I told her I couldn't I made plan for the playdate at 4 30 or after... She showed up at 3 50 acting like she didn't get the text. So I wanted some input and see what y'all say. =)

Update 2:  I told her how I felt and etc, and she not happy with me and she trying to blame it on my fiance saying he doesn't like to be around kids....

UPDATE 3:  I know it much later, but now that I actually have time to sit down and do this, ha.... This lady who tried to drop her kids off and take off, she and I are no longer friends, by her choice!  I'm actually thankful that I don't have to deal with her anymore.  I felt like i was in a position where I couldn't say anything to her or her husband. I honestly think she was using me to cover up her affairs.  

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Replies (21-25):
Lottie925
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I think it depends on he ages of the kids. Older kids don't need mommy hanging out.  For me I usually specify stay or don't stay. Give the option or if its somebody who ii know will be staying I  edifying if they will want coffee, glass of wine if if afternoon?

Due9
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Kids play and mom's hang out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I think if they are old enough to be left, then it is no longer a "playdate".  To me, once they hit a certain age, then they are just going to hang out at a friend's house.  If they are young enough for it to be called a playdate, then the parent is part of the "date".  Otherwise, it means that I am babysitting your child, and I don't do that for free.

Quoting Lottie925:

I think it depends on he ages of the kids. Older kids don't need mommy hanging out.  For me I usually specify stay or don't stay. Give the option or if its somebody who ii know will be staying I  edifying if they will want coffee, glass of wine if if afternoon?

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

It's when my DDs friend(s) comes over to play. I have no interest in hanging with their mothers. So for ME, a play date is JUST for the kids.

creneep83
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

ok that understandable but I'm talking about when you are already friends with the mom.

Quoting KairisMama:

It's when my DDs friend(s) comes over to play. I have no interest in hanging with their mothers. So for ME, a play date is JUST for the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)