Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you survive being a vegan?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is NOT a bash! I am just curious. My motto is do whatever floats your boat. But I am curious how do ppl survive being vegan? I mean you dont eat meat or diary. So where do you get your calcium and iron and proteins that the food pyramid says you need to survive? Also wouldnt being a vegan make clothes shopping incredibly hard. I mean you cant buy wool or silk of leather. So all that is left is cotton and not many clothes are made of 100 percent cotton. Again this is NOT a bash just plain curiosity.

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Replies (11-13):
PerfectVirgo
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:16 AM
I eat a vegan diet sometimes. Just because its healthy. I also do a lot of vegetarian dishes, but I'm not either. I just like to know that most days my kids have no choice but to eat their veggies. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM

You can't just go by content.  Broccoli is considered better than milk because it doesn't have the high protein level.  Higer protein foods keep you from absorbing as much calcium.  

Quoting ninipanini:

broccoli is a little half of milk, but it also doesn't contain all the fat

Quoting frndlyfn:

Beans contain alot of iron/protein as well as other things.  I think broccoli is actually higher in calcium than milk. It takes a good knowledge of foods to be able to balance a healthy vegan diet.  Many vegans are also meticulous about taking their vitamins that contain no animal byproducts.  

jen2150
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I am currently not a vegan but I have been a vegan at one time.  Protein is a necessary component in all plants.  Therefore all plants have protein.  The only diets that are low in protein are ones that have a caloric deficiency.  As long as you are eating a varied diet you only need to be concerned about B12.  As far as the other things go I only consider veganism relating to things you eat.  Some vegans abstain from them but that is a whole different issue.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN