Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I don't call 911

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM
  • 27 Replies

I made a post a few months ago about a sign I saw at a Texas festival that was a hand holding a gun and it said "I don't call 911." Right now, I wish I could say that and mean it. I am sitting here on my couch after a very suspicious person came to my front door asking for money at about 7:30pm tonight. My husband is at work and I am alone with my kids. It is almost midnight. I had this happen a few years ago-a young woman, looked like she was on drugs, came to my door and the next night my house was broken into and everything of value stolen. Luckily I wasn't home. They came through the back door. It was a different home than I am in now. Because of that incident, I am very paranoid about strangers coming to my door late at night.

Tonight has me thinking about that sign I saw and how people protect themselves from burglers. I don't like guns because they scare the crap out of me, but what would I do if someone came through my window? My children's safety is my first thought. I would sure as heck call 911 immediately and look for anything that can hurt an intruder. I don't have my alarm system turned on, but that's something I will be doing in the next few days for sure.

juggling

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymom21
by *giggle snort* on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
A large cast iron skillet makes a great weapon. Sure a gun is handy or a large knife but a good skillet is in valuable :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM
4 moms liked this

The alarm only calls the authorities. A large dog might scare them away but if they are armed the dog can be dealt with pretty easily. The cops in most places(barring living within walking distance of a police station) are not going to get there in time to save you if the intruder means to do you harm. Be honest, if someone broke in and hurt one of your kids while you were willingly unarmed even though it is your right to be armed would you be mad at yourself? I would guess most honest folks would say yes. Now ask yourself WHY guns scare you? Likely because you know nothing about them or how to handle them safely. There are a zillion and one classes for adults and kids on firearms safety. A firearm handled safely and competently is a tool that can save your life and not one to be feared. Like anything else it can be scary to learn something new but it can also be really rewarding. A gun is the only tool that levels the playing field between a 220 pound man and a 110 pound woman, or an elderly man and a group of able bodied thugs. Think about how you feel now and remember that you have the right NOT to feel that way ever again.

nelliesmommy
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM
That's scary. Just stay cautious and call the cops if you have t. I on the other hand, do not mind guns, and will be getting one very soon.
clasater
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:02 AM
I have a baseball bat in my room, dhs guns are in the closet and there's a large knife on the top shelf of the closet as well. As long as I have a warning noise of some sort, I'm pretty well prepared to beat the living heck out of anyone breaking into my house!
Due9
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Well worded reply, thank you.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

The alarm only calls the authorities. A large dog might scare them away but if they are armed the dog can be dealt with pretty easily. The cops in most places(barring living within walking distance of a police station) are not going to get there in time to save you if the intruder means to do you harm. Be honest, if someone broke in and hurt one of your kids while you were willingly unarmed even though it is your right to be armed would you be mad at yourself? I would guess most honest folks would say yes. Now ask yourself WHY guns scare you? Likely because you know nothing about them or how to handle them safely. There are a zillion and one classes for adults and kids on firearms safety. A firearm handled safely and competently is a tool that can save your life and not one to be feared. Like anything else it can be scary to learn something new but it can also be really rewarding. A gun is the only tool that levels the playing field between a 220 pound man and a 110 pound woman, or an elderly man and a group of able bodied thugs. Think about how you feel now and remember that you have the right NOT to feel that way ever again.

juggling

sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

This, this, this, a thousand times this.

Get a gun and a biometric safe. That means it can be opened only with your thumbprint, so your kids can't get into it. You can get a small one and keep it right by your bed. Go to the shooting range, take gun safety classes.

Don't be afraid of guns. Be afraid of bad people behind guns. Be afraid of lack of gun safety. You can fix both of those.

My dad taught me to shoot. He gave me his .40 caliber glock. I live in a bad neighborhood now. Anyone comes into this house unwelcome, they're leaving with a new hole and a pretty black bag.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Oceana09
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Act crazy...no joke. I had a friend who thought someone was in her house late at night (she lived next door to me) so she came over and grabbed me. I grabbed a knife from her kitchen and went through every room saying "here motha motha fu&*er...come out and play" and she didn't realize I had a knife. 4 hours later (she stayed at my house for the night) authorities caught him coming out her front door. He had been hiding in the upstairs crawl space and he said the only thing that kept him staying in the attic was because he had heard some crazy chic downstairs saying something about coming out to play followed by "OMG Jess, put the knife down. Holy crap! You're going to kill someone!" Told hte cops he didn't want to run into the crazy chic with the knife lol.

Jennyp05
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM
You can call the cops and let them know the situation and that u are alone in ur home w small kids and ask that ur house be added to their rounds for the next few days. We have had to do this a time or two.
Due9
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

OMFG, you just made me even more scared! But thanks for telling me..now, I will sleep with my knife since I don't have a gun. That is a freaky, scary story.

Quoting Oceana09:

Act crazy...no joke. I had a friend who thought someone was in her house late at night (she lived next door to me) so she came over and grabbed me. I grabbed a knife from her kitchen and went through every room saying "here motha motha fu&*er...come out and play" and she didn't realize I had a knife. 4 hours later (she stayed at my house for the night) authorities caught him coming out her front door. He had been hiding in the upstairs crawl space and he said the only thing that kept him staying in the attic was because he had heard some crazy chic downstairs saying something about coming out to play followed by "OMG Jess, put the knife down. Holy crap! You're going to kill someone!" Told hte cops he didn't want to run into the crazy chic with the knife lol.

juggling

MommySally
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM
I have a machete next to my bed. Guns also scare me, there are way too many accidents involving guns and I'm not comfortable having one in my house. So a huge ass Jason Vorhees knife it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN