Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: Do you think it's selfish to say that you would be more thankful if your baby was here?

Options:

Yes it's a very selfish thing to say and I can't believe anyone would ever say it.

No it's not selfish. You can't tell me not every pregnant woman has said this at some point.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

All because I made a comment today. Someone told DD that she should be thankful for baby brother in mommie's tummy and I made the sarcastic joke of "And mommy would be even more thankful if brother was out of mommy's tummy". She looked at me funny and I said "It's been a long couple of weeks. My legs can't support my weight for more than 10 minutes anymore, I'm constantly sick. I'm just ready to hold my baby." Lady had the odasity to look at DD and tell her that she hopes DD never turns out as selfish as her mother...wth? Do you think it was a selfish statement?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Replies (21-28):
StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Oh then I really would have a field day with that. Sorry I wouldn't have let her off the hook. Can you image what she says when not been watched and volunteers aren't watched by staffed. I get not wantin to cause a scene but she is the one causing it by what she said I would just let her know how rude and wrong that is for the sake of my child to understand this woman is wrong in how she talked to you.

I volunteer full days every day I've become very close with my son teacher and a lot of staff. But I wouldn't dream of ever say something like to a child let alone to a mom of a child or even think something like that. I've sent kids down to the office for talking that way.

Quoting Oceana09:

I didn't say anything to her. With the kids and all the adults there I didn't want to cause a scene. It wasn't worth it to me. And she does volunteer in class all the time. The day they don't let her in that class is the day pigs fly. Her and her husband have donated a lot of money to that school.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

did you say anything in return? I wouldnt have let that go, and I dont mean yelling put I would of put her in her place of how rude she is and how "you dont speak to my child or any child the way you just did". Then I would be going to the staff right then and telling them you dont want that woman around your child, if she is this rude to your child in front of everyone you dont trust that she will be worse if she volunteers in the class.

Quoting Oceana09:

She was a parent of another child at DD's pre-school. I've met her a couple of times so she knows how far along I am. She asked me a month ago when we went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch.

Quoting ninipanini:

Sounds like someone needs to mind her own business...LOL
Did you know her?  WTH?  WHo says things like that to strangers and their children? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oceana09
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM

My problem is I'm way too quiet for my own good.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

Oh then I really would have a field day with that. Sorry I wouldn't have let her off the hook. Can you image what she says when not been watched and volunteers aren't watched by staffed. I get not wantin to cause a scene but she is the one causing it by what she said I would just let her know how rude and wrong that is for the sake of my child to understand this woman is wrong in how she talked to you.

I volunteer full days every day I've become very close with my son teacher and a lot of staff. But I wouldn't dream of ever say something like to a child let alone to a mom of a child or even think something like that. I've sent kids down to the office for talking that way.

Quoting Oceana09:

I didn't say anything to her. With the kids and all the adults there I didn't want to cause a scene. It wasn't worth it to me. And she does volunteer in class all the time. The day they don't let her in that class is the day pigs fly. Her and her husband have donated a lot of money to that school.

Quoting StoneColdKiller:

did you say anything in return? I wouldnt have let that go, and I dont mean yelling put I would of put her in her place of how rude she is and how "you dont speak to my child or any child the way you just did". Then I would be going to the staff right then and telling them you dont want that woman around your child, if she is this rude to your child in front of everyone you dont trust that she will be worse if she volunteers in the class.

Quoting Oceana09:

She was a parent of another child at DD's pre-school. I've met her a couple of times so she knows how far along I am. She asked me a month ago when we went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch.

Quoting ninipanini:

Sounds like someone needs to mind her own business...LOL
Did you know her?  WTH?  WHo says things like that to strangers and their children? 

HouseMa
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Odasity?

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I don't think it's selfish. :-) I'm only 22 weeks tomorrow and I'm already ready to be done. I'm still sick and now I have heartburn so badly that it's making me feel even sicker plus right now my 2.5 year old is having an awful time sleeping at night so I feel like a zombie. Lol! I'm so ready to just hold my baby and introduce him to his sisters! :-)

goldilocksbecky
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Yes, the way she said it was rude and it was especially inappropriate to say that in front of your daughter.

However, this may be one of those situations where things look very different from someone else's shoes.  There are countless women who would have given everything they had to be able to carry their baby to full term.  They have suffered through miscarrages and stillbirth or very premature births, NICUs, life support, not being able to hold their babies, not knowing if they were going to live from day to day, etc.  They literally would have given everything they had to be able to be "pregnant and miserable" for another few weeks.  So, from their perspective the grumblings of a woman in the late stages of pregnancy probably does seem selfish.  Again, I'm not saying she was justified.  Even if she wanted to share that perspective and offer you a different way of looking at the situation, she could have done so in a much different way.

This reminds me of a situation that happened a few years back.  It was on a private board with a small, close-knit group of my friends.  Over the course of a few days that had been an unusual abundance of posts with people griping about their husbands . . . not putting his dirty clothes in the hamper, leaving his shoes in the living room, not cleaning his whiskers from the sink, snoring like a train a keeping the wife up at night, not handling a situation involving his Mom (the MIL) and something she did when the kids were with her, working late for the 4th night in a row.  You get the idea.  Normal "wife griping about the husband" kind of stuff.  Finally, one Mom posted basically, "Enough already, I can't take any more of this!"  Her husband was on his second deployment in Afghanistan.  She basically said, "Do you know what I would give to trip over his shoes . . . or wipe his whiskers from the sink . . . or hear him snoring beside me?  Or to not worry every single minute that he might not ever come home again?"  To us, what sounded like normal wife griping sounded extremely selfish and rediculous.  And she wanted us to take a step back and appreciate our husbands and the fact that we had them with us and to let the little, petty annoyances go.  Fortunately, she went about expressing that in a more appropriate way.

Like I said, I'm not at all justifying what she did.  She was way out of line to speak to your daughter that way.  But, sometimes things do seem very different from another person's shoes. :)

grey7399
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I voted no, and its "audacity".

Oceana09
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I figured I spelled it wrong. I thought it didn't look right lol.

Quoting grey7399:

I voted no, and its "audacity".

Oceana09
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Audacity...I spelled it wrong. Someone else just corrected me. I thought it didn't look right when I first spelled it out.

Quoting HouseMa:

Odasity?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN