Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

lady who flipped off dead veterans update

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 31 Replies

A Massachusetts woman who posted a controversial photo on Facebook of herself at Arlington National Cemetery with her middle finger raised has lost her job due to controversy over the picture.

A Plymouth, Mass., woman whose "clowning around" photo at Arlington National Cemetery became the focus of online furor after she posted it on Facebook has resigned her job due to the controversy.

Lindsey Stone, a Plymouth, Mass., resident, posted a photo of herself on Facebook with her middle finger raised and pretending to shout next to a sign asking for "silence and respect" near the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery. The photo was taken by a co-worker, Jamie Schuh, when the two were on a business trip to Washington, D.C., last month.

The posting ignited an online furor that included a "Fire Lindsey Stone" page on Facebook. Stone apologized through her father, Peter Stone, according to a Washington, D.C., TV station. Her father said she was clowning around and was reacting to the sign and not Arlington Cemetery.

According to the Boston Herald, Stone has resigned from the Cape Cod nonprofit, LIFE Inc., that she worked for and her resignation has been accepted. In a posting on its Facebook page, LIFE Inc., said both Stone and Schuh were no longer employees of the nonprofit.

"We deeply regret any disrespect to members of the military and their families," the LIFE Inc. post said. "The incident and publicity has been very upsetting to the learning disabled population we serve."

Both Stone and Schuh had been placed on unpaid leave while LIFE Inc., which helps adults with special needs, investigated.

The Boston Herald quoted her father as saying: "She's not happy at all. She's just devastated. She had no idea that she was going to hurt anybody. It was never her intention."

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MammaPaparazza
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Sick
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM
How much you wanna bet she'll come back and say she has some sort of mental illness. Give it a week

She's stupid and has a terrible sense of humor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM
GOOD! So so disrespectful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arigdon4
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM
My question is: of she felt that way toward vets and "rules", why tne hell waste her time to go the Arlington on the first place?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this

PUHLEASE.

It was a stupid joke.  Something I might have done as a teenager or young hungover adult.  MIGHT.  Being a military family, respect for those who served would probably have over ridden my urge to mock the sign.

She was traveling and feeling giddy and did something she thought was silly.  LET IT GO.

mary841108
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

i guess she is a self proclaimed douche bag and was doing it as a joke like when she smoked under a no smoking sign.

JennyCaps
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM
She was on the clock for her job. It was a field trip or something of the sort.

Quoting arigdon4:

My question is: of she felt that way toward vets and "rules", why tne hell waste her time to go the Arlington on the first place?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mary841108
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I get that it was a joke, understandable. however, she posted a picture that went viral. think of the families of those who are buried there and the pain and anger it caused them. I've done stupid shit as a teen too but i never would have done this. AND she isnt a teenager, she is an adult quite capable of realizing that this was wrong and wholly unacceptable.

Quoting grey7399:

PUHLEASE.

It was a stupid joke.  Something I might have done as a teenager or young hungover adult.  MIGHT.  Being a military family, respect for those who served would probably have over ridden my urge to mock the sign.

She was traveling and feeling giddy and did something she thought was silly.  LET IT GO.

LectioDivina
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I hate that THIS is what people chose to get so upset about...with everything our own government does to disrespect the military members, this is the chick that gets everybody to stand up.....

grey7399
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I don't have to "think" of the families who have loved ones buried there.  MOST of my family are veterans.

I'm glad she took responsibility for her actions and apologised and admitted it was stupid, rather than try to use the first amendment, which those veterans fought & died for, to hide behind.

Its done.  Why are people beating a deadhorse?  Its just as bad as what she did.  More than likely, half the people up in arms about this, haven't even served themselves.

Quoting mary841108:

I get that it was a joke, understandable. however, she posted a picture that went viral. think of the families of those who are buried there and the pain and anger it caused them. I've done stupid shit as a teen too but i never would have done this. AND she isnt a teenager, she is an adult quite capable of realizing that this was wrong and wholly unacceptable.

Quoting grey7399:

PUHLEASE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)