Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my heart won't stop racing - UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

I rarely speak to my uncle. My dad has been dead going on 11 yrs and my uncle's voice sounds eerily similar and I can't talk to him without ending in tears. Well, yesterday my cousin facebooks me saying her dad wants me to call him.

My grandma is in the hospital. They found her unconscious in her apartment on the floor with her futon tipped over her. They don't know how long she was like that. She was bleeding some and after my uncle called his cousin to go check on her, she couldn't get through and the fire department broke down the door and they found her. She's had a blood transfusion due to the blood loss and now is in critical but stable condition. She could swing either way still. Please pray for my grandma Haydee.

My uncle lives in Texas. His flight should bring him to Jersey by 4pm EST. I live in upstate NY, but won't have money to make it out to Jersey until tomorrow afternoon after s/o gets paid. My uncle doesn't want me to go to the hospital if she is deemed to be on the mend. He wants me to take legal guardianship of grandma and care for her since I work just part-time M-F and the kids are homeschooled. He wants her here with us because he knows someone would be with her round the clock. I have an empty bedroom we can set up for her, but I still want to go out there to see her, but he's right. She is very stubborn and to see him, her niece and his aunt all ganging up on her to go either with me or her sister, will make her insist more so to go back to her own apartment.

My grandma has been released from the hospital and is now recuperating in a rehab center for the next few weeks. Between her diabetes, anemia, and previously undiagnosed ulcer that ruptured after the pain was keeping her from eating and she lost sooooo much weight, it seems that she fainted and bled from the ulcer and was unconscious for likely two or three days. She doesn't remember how she ended up at the hospital at all. The doctor no longer wants her alone. My uncles cannot relocated from PR or TX so it is up to me to relocate back to the NYC tristate area and have her move in with us. I love my grandma and she is my main connection to my dad, so it's no problem. Now it's all about requesting job transfers and packing and saving money. I have so much to do. The best part about relocating from NY to NJ is that homeschooling is sooooo much easier in Jersey than in NY. I need to think positive. Please wish us the best. This is my grandma and I 31 yrs ago

and this was us at the hospital

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by Lissette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM
My thoughts and heart are going a mile a minute. I was so happy earlier today. I don't know how I managed to eat my meal with the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Life likes to throw us curve balls.   I wonder if she would consent to a companion rather than living with family.  To take care of an older family member adds a ton of stress especially when you have children and are going to school.

imuney
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yeah that would make me feel a little off too! Big hugs!

acrogodess
by Lissette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM
No. I homeschool my children. I finished school. S/o and I discussed that I would likely quit my part-time job. He is currently working two jobs as of last week and with grandma's income our income would still increase. She is going to need follow up as well as ds is special needs. If push comes to shove, I can send the kids back to public school.

Grandma is very distrustful of people. She has been robbed several times and has already turned down a home attendant before.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Life likes to throw us curve balls.   I wonder if she would consent to a companion rather than living with family.  To take care of an older family member adds a ton of stress especially when you have children and are going to school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Thank you.

Quoting imuney:

Yeah that would make me feel a little off too! Big hugs!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Prayers for your gram.

I hope she agree's to live with you!

KyrinM
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I would ask her to come live with you for awhile.  My Grandma lived with my Mom for a few months, she insisted on going back home within 4 months.  Then ended up really ill again & landed in the hospital, since she refused to live with any of her kids, they opted to put her in a nursing home.  She was furious & was awful to my poor uncle who was the only one living close enough to put her in.  But she refused to leave the area she was in, wouldn't go live with family & it was clear she couldn't live alone.  So what were we to do?  She ended up making a lot of friends at the home & her last 4 years were happy ones, so she started out hating it, but ended up content in the long run.  I hope your Grandma recovers soon & that you guys can work out a solution.  You could just ask her, would you like to live with us, or a living care center?  The doctor says you can't live alone anymore because it isn't safe.  So what do you want to do?

Apollos82
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Prayers for your situation, mama. I hope it all resolves well and you are able to find some peace in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM
Thank you. Dad took care of her until he died. Whenever I visit her, I always take her groceries, but I live too far now to visit frequently. We have the room. I may as well take care of her. I want to and I know that like my uncle, my dad would want me to as well.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Prayers for your gram.

I hope she agree's to live with you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Thank you.

Quoting Apollos82:

Prayers for your situation, mama. I hope it all resolves well and you are able to find some peace in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN