Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bought a big stockpile of Hostess products from Ebay...EDIT: Ok, I admit it, I got screwed. :(

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 35 Replies

I've been on Ebay the past couple of days, trying to buy different Hostess products cheap. So far I've bought a box of Cupcakes, Twinkies, Zingers, Coffee cakes, Zingers and HoHo's, and a little pack of crunch donettes. I'm trying to buy a bag of donettes too. LOL! I promise it's not that I'm just a junk food addict. It's kind of like a commodity right now. I've already got the box of Cupcakes listed on Ebay. I'm almost wondering if I list them all together, though, I'll get more for them.

Don't worry, I'm not an idiot. I didn't spend a hundred dollars on one box like some people are doing. I got everything except the cupcakes and the little pack of crunch donettes, (that's how the product is spelled, I didn't misspell doughnuts), in one lot for 20.05 with free shipping, and the cupcakes for 10.00 and free shipping.

I know that probably some other company is going to start making and selling all those products once they are auctioned off from the bankruptcy, but as long as they don't have them on the shelves within a week or two, I think I can make a good profit off them, and even if not, we'll just eat them, LOL. We don't usually eat that garbage, but that doesn't mean we don't like them. We just know they're not healthy. Although dh eats the cupcakes and the donettes, and is disappointed that the company is out of business.

Edit: The first package I recieved was cupcakes. She had listed the exp date as Dec. 8 on the listing, but when it arrived it turned out the exp date was actually one day after it arrived, Nov 24. Plus, she had only wrapped it in brown paper, so it was crushed. The rest of the people who I bought from were out of town for Thanksgiving when their auctions ended. Note: If you ever list something on Ebay, especially something perishable, don't have it end on a day you'll be out of town for several days!. So, for several days nothing else got mailed nor did I get any feedback or replies to my emails.

The little pack of 6 crunch donettes I won arrived yesterday, in a strong little cardboard box, and I had only paid a dollar for that one, including shipping, so I came out ok on that one. The big lot of several different products I  won for about 20 bucks arrived today. Again, it wasn't really packaged that great and the boxes were a tad crushed. The twinkies, (which were the one I was MOST looking forward to), expired in early OCTOBER! I had tried to find out the exp dates on everything I bid on, but on that one I forgot to email to ask, and he hadn't put the exp. dates on the listing. The twinkies when I opened them had MOLD on them! The coffee cakes expired Oct 26, The Ding Dongs haven't arrived at all, and the only box that's not expired is the vanilla Zingers, which I don't really even like.

The person I bought a little two pack of twinkies from has issued me a refund, and I don't know why. I emailed them asking if the twinkies were not coming or if she just gave me the refund because she didn't ship promptly. I had not expressed that I was a dissatisfied customer to her although I did ask if she'd mailed them yet.

I got a refund from the one with the cupcakes, but only after I opened a case through ebay, (which I wouldn't have done, but when I emailed her she was really rude), but she wanted me to return the product to get the refund and it cost about what I'd paid for them, including initial shipping charges, to mail them back, granted that's probably b/c I went to the full service mail store rather than packaging it again myself and taking it to the post office.

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
loisl25
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM

bump

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I say you are an odd duck and a bit bipolar but if you actually do make money off it, good for you.

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It's worth a try.

christina0607
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I guess its worth a try. If anything the boxes may be worth something in 20 years. Because while the product will most likely be made again, the boxes will not be hostess boxes. But I think to get anything for them you would need to wait until they are "retro".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GavinsMom101310
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM
I think that anyone that would pay that much for a box of junk food that normally cost about $3, needs their head examined. But that's just my opinion. As much as people are paying for the stupid crap, Im sure you can make a profit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I saw a person on craigslist selling 10 cupcake hostess packages for $100.00

I don't know who would pay that kind of money for junk food. Seems crazy to me.

loisl25
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yeah, someone sold 9 boxes of Twinkies for 117 the other day. I bid on it, but I only bid up to 40 or 50. I was careful not to bid very high on anything. Whenever they got high, I was like, "Fine, you want it that bad, you can have it.". Everything I bought, I bought for at least somewhat close to retail. The most I overpaid for anything was 10$, including shipping for the box of cupcakes.

Quoting ballerina18:

I saw a person on craigslist selling 10 cupcake hostess packages for $100.00

I don't know who would pay that kind of money for junk food. Seems crazy to me.

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM
That's insane, lol. I can think of better places to put my money. Seems fun though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
People are going crazy for no reason. Another company will pick up the various brands and still sell them.
sucker4myloves
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM

This. Years from now when they're inedible they'll become fodder for collectors.

Quoting christina0607:

I guess its worth a try. If anything the boxes may be worth something in 20 years. Because while the product will most likely be made again, the boxes will not be hostess boxes. But I think to get anything for them you would need to wait until they are "retro".

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)