Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

calling all mommas to 7 years olds

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM
  • 20 Replies

I have a daughter who will be turning 7 in two weeks, i think that she has been old enough to clean her own room for awhile but she thinks that i am her maid and its my job to pick up after her. to all the mommas that have 7 yr olds who cleans their room?

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hazy999
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids have cleaned their own rooms since they were toddlers. I would help when they we're little. By they time they turned 4 8it was their job and part of their everynight bedtime routine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter  is 9 now. but absolutely a 7 year old is capable of cleaning her own room. my DD has been cleaning her room since she was 5. before that she cleaned her room with my help. 

nikkip1
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My 7 year old is expected to clean his room and pick up after himself. He still gives me the "I do everything around here" speech though.

joshlor2
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Well mine are 6 and 11 but beginning in kinder they were on their own with the cleaning.
doulala
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM

We do it together.  We have a system.

But mostly it stays picked up everyday---    if something gets messy we try to put it away that same day.

At 7 a child CAN do it on their own of course, but it's all in how they have been parented so far.
That may be too much to expect if they aren't used to that yet.

Apollos82
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM
My SS is 8. He knows that ANY mess he makes, regardless of it's location, is his mess to clean up. His bio mom did really well with teaching him that. He does it at her house and he does it at our house, along with chores that help out the entire household. He needs reminding and directing, but he knows it's the rule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM
Oh absolutely. Mine would lose a privilege per day till their rooms were clean. (My kids are procrastinators lol) my now 11yo keeps it clean now after I made him watch hoarders.
Peaceful.chaos
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I used the trash bag incentive. I told both kids, 4 and 7, if there was anything left on the floor when I checked in 20 minutes, I was throwing it out. This came after pleading, yelling and threatening privileges to no avail. Well they didn't do as I asked and I threw away anything left on the floor. They RUN to their rooms now anytime I mention their rooms need picked up. I was also pleasantly surprised that they now keep their rooms fairly neat at all times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM
This is how it is at my house too. If I clean their rooms, all their toys that they don't pick up are tossed or donated.

Quoting hazy999:

My kids have cleaned their own rooms since they were toddlers. I would help when they we're little. By they time they turned 4 8it was their job and part of their everynight bedtime routine.
Perfect.Pixie
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM
My 5 yr old cleans his room, as does the 13 yr old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)