Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

It's like he is gasping for air......

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

When my son was a month old he was hospitalized for some problems he was having. It is a long story. Short version, his lungs partially collapsed and they found he had a heart mumur and a heart defect that could require surgery if it didn't correct itself by the time he was 6 months old. Thank God it did.

So I was told that his lungs aren't as strong as a normal person because of what happened when he was a baby. When he gets sick he has to take breathing treatments, prescribed by his doctor.

Well recently, like the past couple days I have noticed that every 60 or so seconds he will breath in really deep like he is gasping for air. But when he is running around it is more frequent, like every 20-30 seconds. Also when he gets upset and starts crying even just a little it is like he is gasping for air and it freaks him out. He tells me when he calms down that it is hard for him to breathe and he gets scared and that only makes it worse. I have to sit him down and make him look at me and get him to slow his breathing down, usually takes about 5-10 minutes.

I am going to take him to the Ped. on Monday, I was just hoping to maybe get some insight from someone on here who may have dealt with something like this. My neighbor whose son has Asthma said she thinks he could possibly have Asthma.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CrystalPystol
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I have asthma. Based off what you described that is what it sounds like. I could be wrong though - not a doctor. Have you tried giving him a breathing treatment when it happens?

Note: I've not had an attack since I was between 4 and 5, so I can't remember what it's like exactly.

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I gave him one earlier when he came in from outside after I noticed him doing it.

It seemed to help a little, just made it less frequent.

Quoting CrystalPystol:

I have asthma. Based off what you described that is what it sounds like. I could be wrong though - not a doctor. Have you tried giving him a breathing treatment when it happens?

Note: I've not had an attack since I was between 4 and 5, so I can't remember what it's like exactly.

LizzyPookey1248
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:56 AM
It does sound alot like when DS asthma is acting really bad. I also have to calm him down when he plays too hard or starts crying.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AtillaTheHun
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh man, this is scary. My oldest had asthma, and what you are describing sounds a lot like it. I am glad you are taking action and consult a doctor about it. My son got an inhaler, which controlled his asthma very well.  

This is a horrible situation for both of you. When you have to watch your child struggle to breath and the panic your poor little guy is experiencing... simply awful!!! I keep my fingers crossed for you guys! Please keep us updated. *hugs*

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Oh man, this is scary. My oldest had asthma, and what you are describing sounds a lot like it. I am glad you are taking action and consult a doctor about it. My son got an inhaler, which controlled his asthma very well.  

This is a horrible situation for both of you. When you have to watch your child struggle to breath and the panic your poor little guy is experiencing... simply awful!!! I keep my fingers crossed for you guys! Please keep us updated. *hugs*

darbyakeep45
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM

That does sound like Asthma mama...big hugs!  My son has Cystic Fibrosis as well as Asthma, and his lungs are constantly clogged with mucus secretions and he does 2 breathing treatments along with chest therapy treatments each day...2 hours worth...just to keep his lungs clear.  It's hard, and I hope you get some answers soon!

emmy526
by Emmy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM

you should take him to a pediatric pulmonologist who can provide the right treatment...

nysa76
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM

It sounds like my daughter's asthma when she was little.  Fortunately, her's got a lot better as she's gotten older.  She was a premie who was intubated right after birth.  She's 11 now and only has a few minor attacks/year.

When she was young and it was really bad, sometimes we had to give her 2 or 3 treatments from her nebulizer in a row.  Can you call his ped and ask about that to help your son through until Monday?  A few other things we were told to do that helped was to take her out for a few gulps of really cold air (during the cold months) or a few small sips of coffee (don't ask me why it helped, but it did).  I was very grateful to the doctor for those tips.  I would ask about other tips they may have while you wait if they are open today for calls.

Good luck momma!  I know how scary it is to watch the panic in their eyes.

pristine729
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Every 60 seconds? Don't wait until Monday! Go to the hospital! He can't catch his breath, let me tell you, that is a terrible experience... You need to go like yesterday
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN