Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why would a woman not take on her dh's last name?. If they are married

Posted by   + Show Post

I know some women may get married.  But then choose to not take the dh's last name.  If you love the man enough to marry him.  Why wouldn't you take his last name?  My sister got married to dh 3 December  2011.  Summer of 2012 moves to the state he is from with her kids.  She getsa job there.  But goes by her maiden last name.  Not the last name she had from dh 2 father of all her kids. 

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

That part I can understand.  The man she married has a very common last name for where he lives.  It could be associated with criminal activity.  No he or his family haven't done anything bad.  But the last name itself might be. 

Quoting MammaPaparazza:

Maybe because their family isn't liked or the is associated with bad people's ... It has impact in the business and political world, otherwise, they just don't want to give up what they built for themselves under their names ... I know several doctors and nurse practitioners who kept their maiden names

wildlilacs
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:54 AM
4 moms liked this
Because it is MY name!!!! Why should I change my name? Why doesnt the man change his name? Its tradition, where the woman no longer belongs to her father but now belongs to the husband.
I admit, I did change my name w the first marriage. Will never change my name again if I ever do remarry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Well, if his last name was Dick or Ball or something along those lines, I wouldn't take his name no matter how much I loved him.

lancet98
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Because the name 'Julia Gyullya' (rhymes with 'Julia' and sounds like 'Ghool-ee-ya') sounds more ridiculous than 'Julia Thompson'? 

Because it's a disgusting patriarcho-pseudo-religious tradition?

So they don't have to get new stationery and business cards when they get divorced?

Because they are extensively published and well known in their field and changing their name would make it far, far less likely employers would contact them with jobs and when employers do employment investigations, all their publications and awards, professional memberships and work history would be connected to a different name, and not come up in an internet search done by a recruiter?

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Because they staged a fake wedding! And lied to an entire family for over 4 years.

Oh wait that just happens in my family.... :-\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM
I only took my husband's last name because it was cooler than mine. I had never planned to take any man's name. It's n outdated tradition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcmom10
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Well i got married this summer and i still have my last name. It's not that i don't want his last name but i don't feel like going through changing everything around. I like my own identity......that doesn't mean i love him any less. I know if i changed my last name right now, me and another girl at my job will have the same name and i really don't want that confusion. I'll change my last name......just when I'm ready. This is 2012.....you don't have to take your husbands last name!

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

because its a choice.

Are you saying the man doesn't love his wife because he doesn't take her last name? No

so why because i have a vagina i have to express my love by changing MY name.

btw I did change my last name a few years after marriage, but only because DH said it would mean a lot to him. Not that he felt unloved.  He can be pretty traidtional sometimes. 

I kept my last name though, just made it my middle name.

doesn't mean I dont love my husband.

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I have been married 13 years, my husband and I have 6 kids, and I have my maiden name. At the time we got married, I kept my last name because I have a very complicated law suit going on with lots of doctors involved and didn't want to deal with changing it and anything being mixed up. But after, I think it was more of a way of honoring my grandfather, who was really my rock growing up, he was really my hero, and inspiration growing up. He is passed away now, I miss him so very much. My husband is ok with it...I love him more than anything, even with my maiden name :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM

There are a myriad of reasons why someone chooses to keep their name. I took my ex-husband's last name but I kept my maiden name at work only because I work with a lot of people and having to notify everyone in and outside of my office is impossible.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)