Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why would a woman not take on her dh's last name?. If they are married

Posted by   + Show Post

I know some women may get married.  But then choose to not take the dh's last name.  If you love the man enough to marry him.  Why wouldn't you take his last name?  My sister got married to dh 3 December  2011.  Summer of 2012 moves to the state he is from with her kids.  She getsa job there.  But goes by her maiden last name.  Not the last name she had from dh 2 father of all her kids. 

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Replies (41-50):
theresaphilly
by Theresa on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Some women keep their last name for professional reason, especially if they are in the entertainment business and other women, believe by keeping their last name they will maintain their identity separate from their husbands.

Gruntlings
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM
I can think of a lot of reasons.

Some women feel very closely attached to their families of birth and feel that their last name is a connection to that family.

Some women feel that taking the last name of a man is sexist or subservient.

My mother kept her ex husband's last name because she had a child with him. So my mother and sister had her father's last name and me/my brother had our father's last name. It was a gesture to my sister. In fact, we were never listed in the phone book by my last name, we were listed under my mother/sister's last name. My dad loved my sister as though she was his own, and so he was fine with all of those little things that helped her feel connected to her dad and included in the family.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I know some women may get married.  But then choose to not take the dh's last name.  If you love the man enough to marry him.  Why wouldn't you take his last name?  My sister got married to dh 3 December  2011.  Summer of 2012 moves to the state he is from with her kids.  She getsa job there.  But goes by her maiden last name.  Not the last name she had from dh 2 father of all her kids. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I didn't change my name. I don't see the point. I like my name just the way it is. The kids will get DH's last name, and my maiden name as their middle name.

redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM

My SIL didn't take her husband's last name. She likes her name and has had it for 26 years and shared it with her mother who died 4 years ago.

ETA: Her hubby is from Mexico and women donot take their husband's names down there, so it isn't a big deal to him.

TwinMommy2BE86
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I'm divorced. If I marry my current SO I will not be taking his last name. I want to have the same last name as my children. I won't be having children with my boyfriend either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
halleys_mommy_1
by +Logan on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I have my id and stuff in my maden name. Just never changed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yezay
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Because they're already established in their field under their last name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM
I couldnt wait to drop my maiden name. If only getting rid of my middle name was just as easy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't take my husband's last name. It has nothing to do with love; it's an outdated tradition.

You might as well ask why he didn't take my name...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heather_309
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Because some last names just don't sound good. I mean you love the man, but darn if I married a man whose last name was Hobblescotch. I would keep my last name too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)