Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Really dumb medical question...

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

I've had severely dry and cracked nasal passages ever since I had that nasty cold a few weeks ago. For the past few days, I keep getting nose bleeds because my nose is so swollen and dry. Tonight, I set up a humidifier but I'm looking for some immediate pain relief. I was using aquaphor but I've just read that you're not supposed to use petroleum jelly products in the sinus passages due to the increased risk of pneumonia but there were other OTC products that are supposedly safe. I don't have any of them, can I use olive oil?

Don't laugh at me, it hurrts!

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rowdys.Mommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM
You need to get yourself some saline spray, I drip some of that in my nose every night to keep it warm and it really helps!

I don't know about the olive oil, sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamombygrace
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Maybe a netti pot. I have sinus issuess and that usually helps me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm no help. I say keep using the Aquaphor. But I'm the same one who puts Vicks under my nostrils and a little on the inside when it says not to. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armywife13143
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I had that happen to me a few months ago. saline spray made it worse. I just got a qtip and swabbed some vaseline in my nose. then went and sat in the bathroom for about 30 minutes with the shower on hot full blast (i didnt get in the shower) i havent had a nose bleed since then and my nose doesnt hurt anymore.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

If you only swab enough to soothe your nasal passages you should be fine.  My hubs uses neosporen on his nose when they get dry this time of year to help ward off nosebleeds.  I sometimes use cortisone ointment when I get a bad cold and my nose is really stuffy.  I swab a bit around my nasal passage and it really helps to soothe and shrink the swelling.  

alwayskk
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If you only swab enough to soothe your nasal passages you should be fine.  My hubs uses neosporen on his nose when they get dry this time of year to help ward off nosebleeds.  I sometimes use cortisone ointment when I get a bad cold and my nose is really stuffy.  I swab a bit around my nasal passage and it really helps to soothe and shrink the swelling.  

Hmm, okay. I didn't really feel like the aquaphor was helping much any way. I didn't think of neosporin, that might help.

.Nobody.
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Neo always works for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieMommy1987
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I'm sorry that you arent feeling well here is a bump for you cause I really wouldn't know either...sorry

TrouserMouse
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Cervical mucus is the same stuff that lines our nasal passages...

just saying...

lmao

alwayskk
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Cervical mucus is the same stuff that lines our nasal passages...

just saying...

lmao

LOL I already have nose bleeds, I'm not trying to do a blood transfusion if you catch my drift.

Ewww!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)