Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can someone please explain...

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
Ok mamas, help me out here, just what IS elf on the shelf. Im 40 years old and Ive never heard of it until recently here on CM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally I think it's a dumb way to bribe your kids to behave, I am almost 42 by the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AF2011
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM

The Elf on the Shelf is Santa's little helper and tells him who is being naughty and nice!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
LovinLife81
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM

hmm I didn't know either 

ashleighmama
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:23 AM
So is it like a stuffed elf that you sit up on a shelf that is supposedly watching and listening to the kids and reporting back to santa? Lol! Thats what it seems like, I dont know, guess Im still kinda lost lol.

Quoting AF2011:

The Elf on the Shelf is Santa's little helper and tells him who is being naughty and nice!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:30 AM

It is a cute stuffed doll that magically comes to life at night to report back to santa on the misdeeds or good deeds of the family who they are staying with.  I say "they"since the elf can be male or female.  I think it is a cute concept.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM

http://www.elfontheshelf.com/AboutUs/TheTradition.aspx

The Elf Tradition

Have you ever wondered how Santa knows who is naughty and who is nice? The Elf on the Shelf®: A Christmas Tradition is the very special tool that helps Santa know who to put on the Naughty and Nice list. This interactive holiday hide-and-seek tradition is perfect for children and families of all ages. 

The tradition begins when Santa sends his scout elves out to Elf Adoption Centers. Waiting for their families to bring them home, these patient elves hibernate until their family reads The Elf on the Shelf, gives their elf a very special name, and registers their adoption online. Once named, each scout elf will receive its Christmas magic and become a part of the family’s Christmas each and every year.  

Excellent listeners and even better observers, these scout elves are the eyes and ears of Santa Claus. Although they cannot be touched, or else they may lose their magic, the elf will always listen and relay messages back to Santa. Taking in all the day-to-day activities around the house, no good deed goes unnoticed; these scout elves take their job seriously.

Each night, after the family goes to bed, the scout elf uses his magical Christmas powers to fly back to the North Pole. Once there, the elf will make his or her daily report to Santa and visit with elf friends where they will tell stories about their beloved families, play with the reindeer, and of course, sneak some of Mrs. Claus’ cookies! 

Before the family awakes each morning, their special scout elf will fly back to their home from the North Pole. However, since these elves like to play games, don’t expect to find them in the same spot!  While some like to hide in the freezer (probably because it reminds them of the North Pole) and others prefer to sit on the fireplace mantle or hang from the chandelier, these elves love to play hide-and-seek with their families. 

On Christmas Eve, the scout elf will listen for Santa’s bell and then fly back to the North Pole until the next season, wishing every girl and each boy a Christmas of peace and a year full of joy. Join the tradition and adopt your own Elf on the Shelf now!
momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
We never started ot with dd. I'm lucky if the tooth fairy visits on time. I could never handle a daily monthlong commitment lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a cheap way to black mail kids into behaving using gifts as bait.

TableforSeven
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Geeze - when I was a kid Santa just "knew" if you were naughty or nice....he didnt need spies.  And Santa watched us EVERYWHERE. (I spent a few awkward moments in the bathroom thinking about that).  Sounds like with the Elf - kids only have to behave in one room.  Kids really DO have it easier now!

Quoting AF2011:

Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I think it's dumb and the elf is hideous looking. My kids know that Santa can see what they are up to just like God can. They behave extra good during Christmas because they know 2 dudes are watching what they're up to, lol.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN