Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should this be Legal?

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 15 Replies

I was reading on yahoo news this morning that apparently over in Europe they have these things called "baby boxes." Here is a description based on the article...

A warm incubator that can be opened from an outside wall of the hospital where desperate parents can anonymously leave their unwanted infant. A small flap opens into the box equipped with a motion detector that sets of an alarm inside the hospital 2 minutes after the baby is left. Giving the parent(s) time to leave before anyone sees them.

They are outlawing these in Europe and I am just wondering if you ladies think this should be legal?

These were invented by a German pastor there after he heard a confession from a woman that she had been brutally raped, gotten pregnant, had the baby. Then she killed and buried it in the woods near Berlin.

In my opinion I think it was a good idea because I would much rather these baby's that didnt ask to be brought into this world anyway go to the hospital where they can find them another home than them stay with a mother who is going to neglect, abuse, or kill them. Much rather them go in this so called baby box than in a casket or even heard of people putting their baby in a dumpster to get rid of them. What are you ladies opinions?

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Yes, I agree with having them so less innocent babies die...but it kind of reminds me of our local animal shelter...there's doors like that on the outside where you can drop off an unwanted animal. Same scenario.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieMommy1987
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I understand and agree on that they are that way here also...

Quoting JustMe0326:

Yes, I agree with having them so less innocent babies die...but it kind of reminds me of our local animal shelter...there's doors like that on the outside where you can drop off an unwanted animal. Same scenario.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
I thoughtthat wa the basic premis of the "safe haven" laws?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Isn't that like the safe haven law? Just a bit more structured?
militarywife09
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Yes I think they should be legal. Better than killing them or dropping them off on the stairs of a building.
AlekD
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Yes it should be legal. It saves lives.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I know hospitals and churches here have a policy where you can drop off a baby (up to 12 months I think but I'm not sure), no questions asked. In theory I think it's a great idea IF it actually does protect babies. I remember there was a time when all you heard on the news were stories of teens giving birth and then dumping the babies in trash cans to die. If this helps prevent that, I could support it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Yes, it is similar to our safe haven laws where you can take a baby to any medical facility, fire department, police station or church and leave your baby. 

Ollie123
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I think it should be legal. It gives babies a chance of having a good healthy life.

K_D88
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yes, I do believe they should be legal.  If parents didn't have to have the shame of walking in and dropping of a child they didn't want, more would do it.  They would be anonymous so it would be discrete and maybe more parents would safe haven there children then abuse, neglect, and murder un-wanted children.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)