Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

American Girl

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
  • 47 Replies
So my girls want an american girl doll for christmas. They are 5 and 7. I checked out the web site today and they are SO expensive!! I'm going to try to go to the actual store in dallas tomorrow so I can look at them..

But what makes these dolls worth $100 each?

I work for target and we have those our generation dolls, they are about 40ish each. With my discount even less.
Do your girls have a AG doll?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I would do the Our Generation dolls personally since they look very similar.  I am lucky my dd is not a doll girl and she wants littlest pet shop stuff.

rebecca_tal4
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pitbull4me
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

my dd has 9 AG dolls,about 20 outfits,5 of their stuffed pets,cars,bikes,loft bed,regular bed,hair salon,sleeping bags,bath tub,wheelchair,horses,stables and some othe stuff I can't remember.All of it is for just the dolls. She has been the flagship stores in NYC,Atlanta,LA and had the whole AG experience at the hotel and the store.She leaves the 20th for 3 days at the Washington DC AG store experience. Her grandmothe and aunt take her and buy all the stuff. I think they are MAD expensive!

nebcutie
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this

My DD is 12 and getting her first on Tuesday. She is so excited and has tracked its shipping every hour for 3 days! I say go with the target ones and if they take care of them for a year get them the american girls next year if they still want them. 

nebcutie
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM

what is the hotel experience? And what are they doing in DC?

Quoting pitbull4me:

my dd has 9 AG dolls,about 20 outfits,5 of their stuffed pets,cars,bikes,loft bed,regular bed,hair salon,sleeping bags,bath tub,wheelchair,horses,stables and some othe stuff I can't remember.All of it is for just the dolls. She has been the flagship stores in NYC,Atlanta,LA and had the whole AG experience at the hotel and the store.She leaves the 20th for 3 days at the Washington DC AG store experience. Her grandmothe and aunt take her and buy all the stuff. I think they are MAD expensive!

Mommy4000
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM

My daughter has what was called the Madame Alexander dolls, I guess they are our generation dolls now but same thing, and she calls it an American girl doll, so to her there is no difference. Fortunately my daughter has blond hair and hazel eyes and it wasn't hard to find a doll that looked just like her. If you have girls with more unique features that can be mimicked with an American girl doll it's certainly a neat idea if you can afford it. Certain things like glasses, birth marks, freckles, more accurate hair color can all be done with the American girl doll.

rebecca_tal4
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this
9!! Wow!! I'm on the fence about the cost.... I usually get them one big gift and a few small ones, plus clothes and stocking stuffers.

Last year they got nintendo dsi(the five yr old was four she got a fisher price xl) so the amount I would spend is about the same as last year....

Should I buy gift cards and let them go pick their own doll? Guess I'll find out how this all works tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pitbull4me
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM

in Atlanta and NYC, the hotel nar the stores have special packages just for AG customers.She had a AG personal shopper,had the dining and hair salon package. In Atlanta,she went fo he 6th b-day and did the birthday party.Everything was catered for my dd and her AG doll.DC is a brand new store,so she just HAD to go.So,she and her grandma are doing it as part of her 9th b-day gift.She will have dinner and a personal shopper. At the hotel,my dd and he doll McKenna will check in,have a bed in the room for doll,robes for both my dd and doll and even AG cookies and milk. its crazy and she loves it!

In LA she did A Day at American Girl Place,she said the LA store is her favorite by far!LOL!

Quoting nebcutie:

what is the hotel experience? And what are they doing in DC?

Quoting pitbull4me:

"People don't have a pit bull problem, pit bulls have a people problem."

First they came for the Pit Bulls
and they banned them and killed them
their owners cried out in horror but I did not object
because I did not own pit bulls.

Then they came for the Rottweilers
and they banned them and muzzled them
their owners cried out in protest but I did not object
because I did not own Rottweilers.
Today they have come for my dogs
and they will ban them and take them from me
as I cry out in outrage and anger no one objects
because they do not own my dogs.

black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:19 AM

My daughters all have three. Three girls that are 8, almost 11, and almost 18. We go to NYC all the time and must always go to the American Girl store for something new. Z is going to be 18 soon and her wish list for this Yule is yet another doll. She loves her dolls and honestly the quality is amazing. We have the other dolls from Target and Barnes & Noble and it is not the same. I still have my American Girl doll packed away. I love her. It is the only doll I saved. These dolls are ones that you keep forever. 

kblossom20
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I personally don't think they're worth the money. Your girls are so young!! I think they'd be just as happy with the Target dolls :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN