Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
So my girls want an american girl doll for christmas. They are 5 and 7. I checked out the web site today and they are SO expensive!! I'm going to try to go to the actual store in dallas tomorrow so I can look at them..

But what makes these dolls worth $100 each?

I work for target and we have those our generation dolls, they are about 40ish each. With my discount even less.
Do your girls have a AG doll?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

My 4 year old is getting her first AG doll for Christmas and my 2.5 year old is getting the itty-bitty baby doll from them. I was on the fence as well but I somehow started getting their catalogue in the mail (don't ask me why...we live in Japan-lol!!) and they fell in love with them. I finally decided to go for it because as a little girl I always wanted one too. But I got extra clothes off of Amazon for way less expensive and someone at our base was selling the Samantha table and chair set with party set for cheap despite being great condition. I love finding great deals so I doubt we'll be getting a bunch of new AG stuff from the website all the time. The same lady who sold me the table and chairs is selling a Samantha doll for only $50 and a Josephina doll for only $30 in perfect condition so I'm really tempted  to buy one of them. Lol! I will add though that when I got the dolls in the mail I took them out and they are REALLY good quality!!!! :-)

TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM
My 5 yr old is getting Caroline for Christmas - she has been pouring over the catalog for over a month trying to decide, and she is super excited. We opted to go with AG rather than the target dolls despite the cost because AG has a reputation for quality and customer service that target can't come close to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2_3blessings
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:33 AM
My mil has bought my 3 girls one every Christmas for four years now and they will be getting the fourth one this Christmas ....they have other dolls that the hair gets all messed up and they wear out... These dolls stay perfect... When my youngest put permanent marker on the face of hers I shipped her off to the dolly hospital and I think it was 25$ they replaced the whole head of the doll. I wouldn't personally buy them but they are great dolls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM
My 3 year old is getting a walmart version this year and if she is still into dolls, and takes care of this one, then nexy year were going to get her an AG. But we got her a leapad2, games and accesories that totaled about the same as the AG plus stuff we had picked out. I think there nice, a friends.dd has like 6, well worth the money IF you think they will take care of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM
DD got an American Girl Bitty Baby when she was 2. She's 8 and still loves that doll. Last year we went to the store in NYC and she had a blast.

Her birthday was yesterday and she got a My American Girl doll. She's over the moon! They are expensive but they're well made and AG stands behind them. Going to a store is an amazing experience for a little girl. Heck, my mom and I were like kids in a candy store!

Maybe look into the Bitty Baby twins and split them. My friend and I did that and it was cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mzwest83
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM

My little girl , 5, has a bitty baby doll. She had one that I bought when I was a kid and played with. Well my Mastiff decided one night that she was a threat and tore her to pieces! We found one that liked just like that one on ebay for 16 with shipping. Maybe you could try that if they really want one and don't mind used.

carter210
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:27 AM
I had 3 growing up and I still have them today. I'm saving them for incase I ever have a daughter. My grandma and mom both got him into it. My grandparents had a wood shop and made and sold doll furniture. It was awesome stuff and I still have that too. My mom used to sew all my doll clothes too! It's amazing stuff and I can't wait to have a daughter (or granddaughter) to share them with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmeredith
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM

My girls also want the American girl dolls but we did the Target dolls instead. I got dd1 for 25!!! I explained to dd that she could have 4 dolls instead of 1 at that price and she loved that idea.

matofour
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM
We love american girl. The quality is amazing, so much better than the target dolls.
The resale value is high as well.
I have three girls, and between them they have 14 dolls. We are building a floor to ceiling dollhouse in their bedroom for the American girls right now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rebecca_tal4
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
My scouting plans have been foiled by the boy being sickly. Grrrr. they were off school for a wk for thanksgiving break, couldn't he have been sick then???!! Lol :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)